• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Black county (or country)

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi :)
The Black Country was an area in the Midlands.
If you Google you will find lots of maps, info and the Museum.
I believe from a friend of mine, they had their own dialect.

Oznannie

Basically, it is an area around Birmingham which was so heavily industrialised, the smoke from the chimneys made the area black. When conditions were dull and damp the fogs full of poisioness fumes soot and coal dust were so thick you couldn't see an outstreched hand in front of you, and you think I'm joking..many people died because of it. Eventually the factories were forced to clean up their act and smokeless zones were introduced..

'The Black Country is a loosely defined area of the English West Midlands conurbation, to the north and west of (but not inclusive of) Birmingham, and to the south and east of Wolverhampton. During the industrial revolution in the 19th century this area had become one of the most intensely industrialised in the nation. The South Staffordshire coal mines, the coal coking operations, and the iron foundries and steel mills that used the local coal to fire their furnaces, produced a level of air pollution that had few equals anywhere in the world'.

dave

Last edited:

jood

Valued Member
Thanks Dave, it was mentioned with the Lindsay info I have, tho I thought they were from Scotland. Maybe they moved - I think there may be connections with Manchester which I am yet to find.

leefer

Loyal Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Country

Lots of the Towns within the Black Country still have a fair level of old style engineering,....basic manual working factories within them.
I deliver to many of the factories and i am still suprised in this day and age at the level of industrial work within a living area still.

I like that though:biggrin:

The dialect is still very distinct with cuppa tea sounding like Kipper Tie!