• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Blessington/Sayjou

jen2

Valued Member
I am trying to find any information on a Mahommed Sayjou who married a Margaret Blessington on 12 January 1892 in Brisbane. I have been unable to find immigration records or any other records apart from his marriage to Margaret Blessington. He was 24 years of age at time of marriage and states he was born in Afghanistan. He list his occupation as Icecream Maker.
Fathers name is Mahommed Dodt but only lists his mothers name as Sarah.
Fathers occupation - Farmer.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Jenny

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Jenny,

I can't find anything in Qld. BDM even entering just 'Margaret Blessington', or NLA old newspapers or Electoral Rolls or in shipping records, or even by 'Googling'. I've tried Sajyou, Sayjou. There are lots of Dodt and they seem to be of German origin.

Sorry, but I'm stuck. Someone with other resources might have better luck.

Regards,

Dave

jen2

Valued Member
Dave

That link you gave me I have. I found a gentleman that had to do a Uni paper on any person and he did it on Margaret Blessington. He is the one that sent me a copy of Margaret and Mahommed's Wedding Certificate. He found this record on the Qld Federation Index.
I seem to be getting all the hard ones:biggrin: :biggrin: :'( :'(
Thanks anyway
Jenny

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Jenny,

The info may or may not be correct on the Boggo Road entry about her arriving in Australia in 1874 as an infant from England. A search of immigration records to Qld, NSW and Victoria turns up nothing yet.

A search for 'Blessington' or similar for the births around the dates the age at death indicate turn up nothing in English or Irish records so far in searching. That's well after Civil Registration started in Ireland but that means little. I found about 4 out of 7 Irish birth records for my Runciman family yesterday. I have missing records from 1860s from another family yet I have info from Australian death certificates giving date and place of birth.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

jen2

Valued Member
Gibbo,

the residential address on the marriage certificate if Windmill Street, Fortitude Valley. That is the same address for Mahommed & Margaret. They got married in the residence of the Officiating Minister, Arthur Street, New Farm.

Jenny

jen2

Valued Member
Dave,

I have a copy of the passenger list - their name is listed as Beesington they arrived on the ship Derbyshire. It left London 3rd April 1874 and arrived Brisbane 10th July 1874. Margaret's age is listed as 1 year, her sisters Elizabeth 8 years, Mary 12 years, parents John 34 years and Mary 33 years.

Jenny

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Jenny,

That's great. Does it say Yorkshire by any chance?

I've looked in FreeBMD so far for Margaret using no surname and no county but the count is over the max of 3000 even for one quarter of the year.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Jenny,

First one found so far but I need lots more time. Actually, we need someone to do a census look up.

Births Dec 1872
BLESSINGTON Margaret Ann Bradford Y 9b 179

Marriages Dec 1858
Blessington John Bradford Yk. 9b 243
BLESSINGTOW John Bradford Yk 9b 243
Townend Faith Bradford Yk 9b 243
Welsh Mary Bradford, Yk. 9b 243
Wild James Bradford Y 9b 243

A census look up for 1861 & 1871 is needed. :)

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

jen2

Valued Member
Dave,

No it does not show Yorkshire, but I know that Margaret was born in Bradford York. The John Blessington and Mary Welsh are the parents of Margaret.
Mary is my great grandmother but John is not as Mary had my grandfather (Sanders) after her husband John died in Australia to an unknown person.
Have I confused you. Sorry if I have.

Jenny

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Jenny,

Oh, possibly :biggrin: I did log on at 4 am this morning so I'm not only lacking sleep but possibly some marbles too.

Regards,

Dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
I still cant find anything under the name of Sayjou:confused: I wonder if that is the correct spelling for it.
I also wonder that if Margaret married this fella why she was buried under the Blessington name and not under Sayjou, maybe divorced??:confused: :confused:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Same thoughts as me Gibbo. Could this be Margaret in 1903 under Blessington on the Australian Electorial Roll.

Queensland
Darling Downs
Toowoomba

Margaret Blessington - HM prison, Margaret Street - domestic servant

gibbo

Loyal Member
Same thoughts as me Gibbo. Could this be Margaret in 1903 under Blessington on the Australian Electorial Roll.

Queensland
Darling Downs
Toowoomba

Margaret Blessington - HM prison, Margaret Street - domestic servant
Hi Julie,
Yep that appears to be her on the electoral roll. Everything i find on her she is under the Blessington name, i was also wondering if not divorced maybe the marriage may have been annulled.

I cant even find a death for this Sayjou fella:confused:

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
If she married in Jan 1892 she was obviously still using her maiden name in May 1892 as she is in the newspapers then under Blessington:confused: I wouldnt think that from Jan to May would have been enough time to be married and also divorced. I would bet on a annulment.
Still nothing on Sayjou, its like he didnt excist.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Jenny,

...copy of Margaret and Mahommed's Wedding Certificate. He found this record on the Qld Federation Index..
I find it rather odd that it does not seem to be listed in the on-line index of marriages in Qld. :confused:
I can't find any trace of the guy.

I looked at DODT again and there is no sign of any that could be from Afghanistan. Other BLESSINGTONs in Qld. around that time.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited: