• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Boer war

astwood

I got the wifes grat uncles service record the other day
It states he served in the boer war with the 34 battalion
Royal Welsh Volunteers any ideas on how i can get info
about him his name was Edgar Roberts from studley
warwickshire
thanks
astwood

astwood

Hi gortonboy
Yes it gives me all his wwi record he was medicaly discharged
what i want to find out is his career in the boer war on his
short service attestation it says he was in the royal welsh
volunteers but in a letter sent to the royal warwicks asking
for a badge he says he was in the warwick yeomenry in the
boer war in south africa?
astwood

dochines

Valued Member
In my book collection I have two heavy volumes of a book called " With the flag to Pretoria" being the history of the Boer War of 1899-1900 by H W Wilson and published by Harmsworth Brothers in 1901

In it is a list all the troups engaged in the war. Some regiments were already there at the begining of the war. You do not seem clear whether it was the Warwick or Welsh Regiments involved

Neither were present at the commencement of the war

Between October and November 1899, 32 Infantry battalions were ordered out This group included the 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers and the 1st Welsh regiment

by the 30th November there were 13 regiments of cavalry, 49 battalions of infantry , 8 companies of mounted infantry and 29 batteries of artillery all under the command of Sir R Buller

Further troups ordered out on Nov 11th 1899 ( 5th Division) included the 2nd Royal Warwick infantry Battalion

Ordered out on 14th December included the 2nd South Wales Borderers Infantry Battalion

by April 1900 the total regulars, Cavalry Artillery and infantry was 107,726 men and 342 guns

Then there were the militia units including 6th Royal Warwick, 3rd South Wales Borderers and 3rd Welsh. In total another 20,606 men in 31 battalions of infantry

Then a group known as the Volunteers and irregulars

The Imperial Yeomanry 5th warwickshire Reg in the 2nd Battalion

As far as the volunteers were concerned One company was attached to each battalion of Regulars a total of another 9187 men

Further troups were there from Canada, Australia and Ceylon

The books are very well illustrated and include a picture of the Welsh Fusiliers at Port Elizabeth

Ther is also mention of the Royal Warwickshire Volunteers who accepted the call for volunteers with "an eager response" "in no case did any militia battalion when invited to give its services show the smallest reluctance"

I can search further for names and places if you can give more details

dochines

Last edited:

astwood

Hi Dochines
Thank you very much for your information on lists of troops
The only information i have is
Edgar Roberts born circa 1878 Studley warwickshire
WW1 Private 199 52 Royal warwickshire regiment
On his Short Service Attestation on the previous
army service it says 38th batt royal welsh volunteers
and in a letter to the Royal Warwicks in 1917
enquiring about a badge being a old volunteer
in the warwick yeomanry in the boer war in
south afrika ******
So to me it looks like he was in the warwicks
over there and they are on your lists arnt they
I no its not much to go on
thank you very much
astwood

dochines

Valued Member
I suspect that his WW1 service was with the Royal Warwick Regiment , but had previously been in the various militia, which were often volunteers like the modern TA.

I think we could rely on his letter to believe he was in the Volunteer Warwickshire Yeomanry. and perhaps prior to that in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers

It would have been lovely to find his name in the index of my books but sadly no luck. I will read through some of it to see if I can establosh what happened to his regiment whilst out there.

I will post again anything possibly useful You could also try and locate the historical records of the Warwick Yeomanry

best regards

dochines

astwood

Hi Dochines
Thank you very much for searching for edgar
when the weathers warmer i will check out
the records of the warwick yeomanry its
not to far from where i live they might shed
some light on him
cheers
astwood