• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

bookmaker

Alison

From
Scotland
Went to local library yesterday didnt find the burial records I was looking for but asked about my greatgrandfather who was local councillor in early 19th century and has a street named after him in 1964 after his death. The librarian pulled out some hand writen notes from her files, I think copied from newspapers, I had a laugh at this one that reads..

Kane, John (-19 )
Communist councillor. Renton. Co-founder of local branch od national unemployed workers movement. Kane street is named after him.
c1927
Previously a bookmaker. One of 2 in Renton. Gave unlimited returns. Ruined when Colonel Renton gave a local tipster a tip on a horse 'the bastard' at 100-1. Many of the men in the village put money on, and Kane couldn't pay up. The other bookmaker, Willie Ritchie, had a pay-out limit and survived.

Think 'the bastard' was the name of the horse, but when I first read it thought it was refering to Colonel Renton as can imagine my grandfather calling him this or worse lol

Alison

Went to local library yesterday didnt find the burial records I was looking for but asked about my greatgrandfather who was local councillor in early 19th century and has a street named after him in 1964 after his death. The librarian pulled out some hand writen notes from her files, I think copied from newspapers, I had a laugh at this one that reads..

Kane, John (-19 )
Communist councillor. Renton. Co-founder of local branch od national unemployed workers movement. Kane street is named after him.
c1927
Previously a bookmaker. One of 2 in Renton. Gave unlimited returns. Ruined when Colonel Renton gave a local tipster a tip on a horse 'the bastard' at 100-1. Many of the men in the village put money on, and Kane couldn't pay up. The other bookmaker, Willie Ritchie, had a pay-out limit and survived.

Think 'the bastard' was the name of the horse, but when I first read it thought it was refering to Colonel Renton as can imagine my grandfather calling him this or worse lol

Alison

:biggrin::biggrin:

Brilliant.

Back