• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Brickwall Broken Down.

benny1982

Staff member
Loyal Member
Hi

I have struggled to find the marriage of my ancestor Thomas Brain to Maria who lived in Bletchingdon, oxfordshire. I obtained their daughter Sarah Brain's birth cert and Maria's maiden name was Butler.

I found a Thomas Bearn marriage with a Maria Butler on the same page in the June Quarter of 1838 in Woodstock district of Oxfordshire. I couldnt find such a couple afterwards in any census and I was under the theory that Bearn was a mistake for Brain so I sent for cert. Bullseye.

It is the right one and when you look at the cert it is Thomas Brain, not Bearn. They wed on 14 May 1838 at Wootton, Oxfordshire. Thomas was of Bletchingdon, father George Brain, a labourer. That tallies with Thomas's baptism and residence. Maria was of Wootton, father Mathias Butler a labourer. Both signed with their mark X. This tallies with Maria giving her mark on her 1842 daughters birth cert.

I found Mathias in the 1851 census aged 62, Ag Lab born in Chesterton, living in Wootton. A relevant death has been found in the Mar Quarter of 1858 in Woodstock district. It is good to find an ancestor living in the 1851 census as that was the first really useful one.

Matthias married Mary Hull in 1816 then Charlotte Russell in 1831. Maria was the daughter of the eldest child. I have the family in 1841. Charlotte died in about 1849.

So I have a new load of ancestors from that line now, all thanks to a marriage cert.

Ben