• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Brickwalls read the data!

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Having not a famous relative but more of an infamous one has driven my search for more information about him.
My 2x great grandfather one Edwin Murray was reputedly involved in 'The great Turf fraud' in about 1877, having garnered all the information I could find I have become more or less convinced that he was the villain of the piece but with nothing more than the name and that on several census's he was a bookmaker, I had nothing more concrete as to actual evidence.
I began to delve the web for more information but none was forcoming as per normal brickwalls!!
This morning I have began to read what information I had on the case wondering if there was anymore information as to the actal persons as in more modern cases as to age or abode.
Reading a transcript from THE REMINISCENCES OF MONTAGU WILLIAMS, Q.C.
who defended Edwin Murray at the Old Bailey, he mentions that Edwin was stated as being 32 years of age in 1877 which tallys with my records as to his birth in 1845. A quick search gives only the one Edwin Murray being born that year so he must be the one! and I had the information all the time.
Just goes to show read and read your own data when the brickwall strikes!

Peter