• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

BRIGGS family in Leigh, Lancs in 1861

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I'd like a look up please for the BRIGGS family in Leigh, Lancs in 1861.

I have very little to go on. I hope Simeon is not too common in Lancs. This is 'fishing' for the THORNLEY puzzle.

Simeon b. ?
Ann b. ?

Marriages Jun 1858
Briggs Simeon Leigh 8c 204
Schofield Ann Leigh 8c 204

Thanks.

Dave

emeltee

Loyal Member
They are lodging with a Lydia Pemberton and her family in Gas Street, Pennington, Leigh

Simeon Briggs 45 Silk Weaver born Middleton, Lancs

Ann Briggs 25 Jack-frame Tenter born Atherton, Lancs

Emeltee

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Emeltee,

Thank you. The next step is to try and find if they had a daughter Elizabeth/Betsy.

William THORNLEY married Betsy Unknown abt 1880 somewhere. She died in Austraia:

Death Reg# 16302/1938 THORNLEY BETSY SIMEON ANN MARRICKVILLE

William arrived on vessel 'Earl Dalhousie' arrived Sydney 7 May 1877 aged 22 Origin Location: Leigh, Lancashire

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Emeltee,

Thanks for loooking further. It seems now there are too many Simeon and Ann in Lancs and too many Elizabeth/Betsy/Betsey to make this exercise work in solving the puzzle.

Births Mar 1859
BRIGGS female Leigh 8c 167

Births Sep 1858
Briggs Betsy Rochdale 8E 45

Births Dec 1859
BRIGGS Betsey Bury 8c 589

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello juliejtp,

There are too many Simeon & Ann in Lancs around 1850-60 to be any help solving the THORNLEY puzzle.

I'll call this complete.

Thanks.

Dave

hi i have just been looking through the message boards and i see you are looking for info on the thornley family of leigh ,did you meen lancashire
my grandmother on mothers line ,was martha thornley born 1895 her fathers name was john they were a large family would you like me to give you some names of her brothers and sister s .
i know they all grew up in bridgewater street in leigh my grandmother martha ,
married michael waldron. and when martha &micheal were married they lived in briggs street leigh
the name of her brothers and sisters were williamthornley,elizabeththornley,
mary a thornley besty thornley,albert thornley,
john e thornley and lenorard thornley

do you reconise any of thease name s .if so i will be only to happy to help share some info with you if you like ,look forward to hearing from you
best wishes annpart

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello annpart,

Sorry for the delay. I didn't see a notification for your post.

From my THORNLEY post you will see I'm trying to find a marriage of a William born Leigh Lancashire to a Betsy Unknown with parents Simeon & Ann. So I started looking for marriages of all Simeon to Ann in Leigh and came up with BRIGGS and DYSON and even THORNLEY.

Is it possible Betsy was a THORNLEY too?

Regards,

Dave

Hello annpart,

Sorry for the delay. I didn't see a notification for your post.

From my THORNLEY post you will see I'm trying to find a marriage of a William born Leigh Lancashire to a Betsy Unknown with parents Simeon & Ann. So I started looking for marriages of all Simeon to Ann in Leigh and came up with BRIGGS and DYSON and even THORNLEY.

Is it possible Betsy was a THORNLEY too?

Regards,

Dave
HELLO DAVE
My GRANDMOTHER on my mothers line was martha thornley she did have sister besty and a brother william ,william was the eldest and was born around 1883 ,besty was born around 1891 ,the other brother&sisters were
elizabeth A thornley born around1885 ,mary A THORNLEY ,MARY MARRIED JOHN GARDENER.,[MYgrandmother martha thornley born 1895] ,albert c thornley ,born around 1898, john e thornley born around 1900.and then leonard thornley .born around 1904, . , their parents were john thornley he was born in westhoughton & their mother margaret lee she was born in hindley lancashire
all within the area of leigh all the brothers and sisters were all born in leigh ,
there was also ellen thornley she was born around 1880 ,
my grand mother married micheal waldron , john e thornley married esther morrisson they spent most of there marrired life in blackpool lancs.
but i dont know who william married if i find anything out i will be happy to help and let you know ,.there grand parents names was samuel &mary both came from bolton area .
i hope i have helped you in anyway to shed some light on the thornley famliy .
i will let you know if i find any more information .
thank you for your reply
kindest regards annpart ps .ijust found that william ;s wife name was elizabeth and she was born in lowton this is another area of leigh .they had a daughter margaret on the 1911 census best wishes annpart

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello annpart,

Thanks for the info on the THORNLEY family. The William I'm looking for was born about 1854 and married Betsy about 1880.

Regards,

Dave