• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Bristol Fashion.

leefer

Loyal Member
http://www.arnosvalefriends.org.uk/symbols.htm

Go delivering to Bristol alot...once one of the worlds busiest ports its a shadow of its former self..though it still has some Gems...the old Victorian cemetary is massive...full of interesting plots,graves and sad epitahs...sadly in need of refurbishing its getting a facelift...the park is amazing,you must remember that this is in the heart of Bristol and it must have been a very impresive sight when built...i intend a more thorough visit very soon.
Whiteladies Road is testament to the slave trade in Bristol and it was once the biggest incoming port for the poor slaves from Africa...todays black population can visit a museum on slavery......my last visit to Bristol was spent in the Wills museum....Wills was Bristols wealthiest family in years gone by(tobacco trade)..he left the museum to the people of Bristol...its free and i spent 7 long hours in it looking at everything from Bristol pottery to famous Bristolian landscapes.
Shipshape and Bristol Fashion is an old saying...back to the days when Bristol built great ships...sometimes as i drive along the River Avon under Brunels suspension bridge i can imagine the Tea clippers and great boats passing the gorge and packed with goods from far and wide...tea from China..the poor slaves from Africa...i can hear the banter and smell the spices from Asia...it must have been a great City then.....and indeed still is in its modern way.