• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

British Iraq War medal

gortonboy

Loyal Member
Hi All..I have just come home from the carboot with what looks like to me to be the British 2003 operation Telic Iraq War medal !!
After a bit of googling,i can see it has the correct ribbon,,the correct box and has the number,rank,name and regiment inscribed on the rim. So,it looks genuine to me,,but i am no expert. How can i tell 100 percent if it is a genuine medal?
I am quite astonished to have got it to be honest,,,and even as a copy it is well worth the money i paid for it. I was quite sad to see it myself,,i have my grandads WW2 medals,and wouldnt dream of parting with them.
I was thinking about maybe trying to research the name,,but i have noticed that people who are selling genuine medals on e-bay of the same type are not revealing the full details etched on the medal,as they do not want people to copy them. This is another reason i thought maybe someone had copied this one?
But as i say,,everything about it looks genuine. Apparently the details on the rim should be lasered,,,would that give me a clue?,,i dont know what a lasered medal looks like.
Finally,,if it is genuine,,i would like to find out why it ended up on a carboot? was it stolen? this would again involve trying to research it...if it is genuine and the original owner could be traced,,and it had been lost or stolen,i would dearly like him to have it back.
If i cannot do this,,i find myself in a moral dilemna,,as these medals are going for over a hundred pounds.Would a regimental museum want it?
Just my luck,,the first time i buy something for a song on a carboot that is potentially worth a few quid,i find myself wanting to do something else with it,other than make some hard cash.I guess thats the family historian in me coming out

gortonboy

Loyal Member
Hi Steve,,,After further research,i now believe the medal to be genuine,,,i have decided to contact the Royal Engineers in order to try and found out if they can find out if the medal has been sold,lost,or stolen. If i can find out,,and if it has been lost or stolen,,i will gladly return it to its rightful owner.:)

ianto73

Valued Member
It is very sad that Iraq War medals are being sold. However, there is some substance in the content of the article in The Daily Telegraph concerning reasons. I have my 1962 GSM, and there is a market close to me selling a similar one for £75 - I did not ask whose it was. On a recent visit to the Imperial War Museum, I spoke with a person who said that the number of WWII Medals they get sent is phenominal, and they don't have name number or rank on them.

gortonboy

Loyal Member
Well,,i contacted the Royal Engineers,,,,they tried to find the guy whos medal i had,,but after many months,,no joy....So, i finally sold it on e-bay. At least i tried. With my handsome profit,i finally got around to buying myself a smart phone,,so now i can get my fhuk e-mail alerts as soon as they are posted. :)

ianto73

Valued Member
Slightly off tangent, it has been mentioned on my regimental website that there are "Diamond Jubilee Medals" already being sold on e-bay? Within the comments, one person said that the younger former serving personnel are selling them (including Iraq and Afghanistan) to feed their families, as medals do not put food on the table? I still find it sad that having earnt the medals they mean so little.

ianto73

Valued Member
There is stall in the Fleetwood Market that has various medals for sale and even old army cap badges - the price of which astounds me. I have my uncle's WWII medals and am thinking of having them mounted to wear on the right hand side of my blazer which is now allowed. They were issued to my grandparents and never saw the light of day for over 50 years.
I agree though, it is the sign of the times, sadly.

leefer

Loyal Member
Slightly off tangent, it has been mentioned on my regimental website that there are "Diamond Jubilee Medals" already being sold on e-bay? Within the comments, one person said that the younger former serving personnel are selling them (including Iraq and Afghanistan) to feed their families, as medals do not put food on the table? I still find it sad that having earnt the medals they mean so little.
My wife's dad was a Red Beret Para during WW2...he paratrooped behind enemy lines many times and also did action in Murmansk....when he returned home and recieved the medals he promptly put them in the nearest bin...to some who killed they didn't see it as a good thing to do...my Uncle Maury was a Tank driver and killed germans....it haunted him i know.