• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

BRITTON & CAINES & COOL & WILMOTT families

WOW :eek: This family is mini series material.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/3319337224/

I probably shouldnt laugh at this but ....

It is perhaps, therefore, not surprising to find in the Oldland area, an absence of 'Caines' listed in the first published population census of 1841

:2fun::2fun: By the sounds of it most of them were in Australia by then.

What an excellent find gibbo, it even brings in the Wilmott's and Peacock's - Dave must be truly enchanted to be associated with this stock :2fun: :biggrin: >:D

Last edited:
UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849
Timothy Bush
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1771
Date Received: 8 Jun 1813
Ship: Retribution
Place Moored: Woolwich
Date Convicted: 31 Mar 1811
Place Convicted: Gloucester

This fits with this excerpt found on 'FLICKR'
Quote:
A period of some 5 years elapsed before another of the Caines dynasty came to the fore when, in 1822, a George Groves was transported for stealing watches. Elizabeth (Betty) Caines was the eldest daughter of Benjamin and Ann, and it will no doubt be recalled that, she had for a while, lived with a certain Timothy Bush and, bore him two sons. Timothy then landed himself in trouble, or just got caught, which resulted in his being transported for life. Betty was not only a Caine , she was also a very resourceful woman, and whilst marriage was never uppermost in her mind, she was certainly not going to bring up her children on her own. Accordingly, not long after Timothy left these shores in 1813 for a new life on the other side of the world, Betty opened her door to one George Groves. Whilst living with her second common-law husband, it is believed that a son Thomas was born but, more about him later.

For Betty to have had two pseudo husbands, both transported to the other side of the world for theft, in the space of nine years, must rank as some form of dubious record and, for her, and her offspring's, worse was yet to come.

Timothy Bush had left Betty with two children, the eldest being James, born in 1805 and who was thus, only 8 years of age when his father was permanently taken from him. Whether it was patriarchal pressure from his maternal grandfather or, pressure from his mother or, simply his liking of the name will now never be known, but what is recorded is that James was commonly known as James Caines Bush or, frequently, just James Caines. End Quote.

Geoff

George Groves

The Bury and Norwich Post: Or, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, Cambridge, and Ely Advertiser (Bury Saint Edmunds, England), Wednesday, August 06, 1817
The notorrious George Groves has been again apprehended and committed to Gloucester goal on a charge of having on his possesion and disposing of three watches, the property of Mr Wood of Stroud, who was robbed in August last, by a gang, with whom Groves is suposed to have been intimately acquainted. The witnesses against him are a man and a woman to whom he sold the watches and who are both in custody.

George Groves

The Bury and Norwich Post: Or, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, Cambridge, and Ely Advertiser (Bury Saint Edmunds, England), Wednesday, August 06, 1817
The notorrious George Groves has been again apprehended and committed to Gloucester goal on a charge of having on his possesion and disposing of three watches, the property of Mr Wood of Stroud, who was robbed in August last, by a gang, with whom Groves is suposed to have been intimately acquainted. The witnesses against him are a man and a woman to whom he sold the watches and who are both in custody.

Yep, that's the one...

Elizabeth (Betty) was never short of a partner or two. Not difficult to see why it is so difficult to piece this family together. :eek:

Wonder if they had anything to do with each other once they arrived in Australia :confused:

Dave has gone quiet :confused: Must be still counting his convicts :2fun::2fun:

I'd suggest an email to Tas Archives asking if Indent MM 33/1 has details of parents and siblings.

If that record has the details required then it's a lot easier than trying to create the family of siblings and half-siblings and cousins from details of the gang. That article is one person's version which I doubt is 100% correct.

Thanks to Gibbo, Horse and DaveHam for your links and suggestions. :)

I think that perhaps the Caines Family ties will be a mystery always. But I will contact the Tas Archives as suggested and see if they can give me anymore information. I am sure that the change in name here in Australia was to distance themselves from the taint of the "Caines" name. My 3 x great grandfather seemed to mostly stay on the right side of the law, with only the occasional misdemeanor.

I have found three Caines brothers who were transported to NSW not Tas they are also from Gloucester, so could very likely be part of the same family. Samuel Caines arrived in Sydney Cove, 6 Jan 1833 aboard the Mary, (having been sentenced to 7 years transportation for stealing poultry)and in Indent details: How Disposed Of: Aust Agr Company? Relatives here in Australia - brothers Thomas and George Cains here about 15 years ago.

Thanks again.....I will move on to the next brick wall, so will be posting again soon!! :)

Back