• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Bromley and Beckenham 1841

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Friends

I have a problem which I hope you can help me with, One of my ancestors is Mary Tomkins born abt 1826 in Wolvercott Oxfordshire, She Married William Hastings May 31st at Wolvercott, On the marriage cert. her father is named as Richard Tomkins occ Labourer. In the 1841 cesus Mary is living with her mum, Elizabeth (I as yet Have not confirmed mums maiden name) and younger sister Ann, but no sign of Richard, Where was he?

I have found one possibility which appears to be some kind of institution in Bromley and Beckenham, was this a workhouse or even a Prison, if this was a workhouse how do I get details of their inmates for 1841 as the website only refers to the 1881 Census, Richards dob for this census entry is given as 1796 (age 45) all I can tell is that he was not born 'in county'

The census ref I have is Class HO107;Piece480:Book:7:Civil Parish:Bromley;County:Kent;Enumeration District:3:Folio:18:page:29:line:1:GSUroll:306874.

Thank you for your kind help.

Gwen :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
somerstown FHUK General Chat Room 0
DaveHall 1841 Census Request 2