• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

BUCHANAN James 1876

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Kath,

I doubt a 2nd James would have been born at Durham but I will check for a later marriage and an earlier birth.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

We can rule that one out with the NOK Phoebe because of this:

Surname: BUCHANAN
Given Names: Jas Mago
Event: B
***: M
Spouse Surname/Father: Jas Spittel
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Freda Hilda GAMBLE
Birth Place: MELBOURNE EAST
Death Place:
Year: 1901
Reg. Number: 20760

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

Phoebe was born in 1867 so I think now it is not the correct marriage. There are lots of much later marriages for several James but can't tell which might be the one. Can't find James' death and can't check E/R for spouse or children.

Regards,

Dave

Hello again, I was scrolling through my old emails and came accross this info, not proven to be my James though: there was a James Buchanan on the Wimmera Electoral Roll 1914.1924,31,36 and 1937. A Blacksmith in Banyena married to Ethel Jane. She's on the Roll up to '54 living at 36 King St, Blyth. He's not after '37. I also found an old letter stating James died in 1938 but other info in this letter has since been disproved was the ramblings of an old maiden Aunt.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi,
The death for James in QLD was 1938 so might be worth getting a copy of the death cert. and seeing what is on that. I will have another look today with the other info you have and see if i can find anything more.

Gibbo, do you know if it is possible to get get an electronic copy of the death cert. from Queensland like I've done with Vic BDM? I'll fire off an email to them if you're unure.
Thanks Kath

gibbo

Loyal Member
Gibbo, do you know if it is possible to get get an electronic copy of the death cert. from Queensland like I've done with Vic BDM? I'll fire off an email to them if you're unure.
Thanks Kath
Hi Kath,
No we cant get them electronic:( Its good how we can with VIC but hopefully in time the rest of the states might do it like that as well. I have put the link on for QLD bmd for you but been in NZ i would say you will have to send for it by post. Unless anyone else knows of any other way to do it:confused:

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/justice-services/births-deaths-and-marriages

gibbo

Dave and Gibbo, an update on the James search. I am waiting for a copy of his Death Cert from Queensland BDM. Not sure how long it takes but I will keep you posted.
Kath

Today I received a copy of James's Death Cert. He died May 3 1938 in the Goodna Mental Hospital. Never saw that one coming!!!! Cause of death sudden collapse, heart disease. He was buried in the "Asylum Cemetery" 2 days after he died. No listed marriages or children. The informants were the Hospital Medical Super and his sister Elizabeth.
Now....... I wonder how I access the medical records of this institution to find out when he was admitted, for what and what was his address prior to and his occupation????
Kath

gibbo

Loyal Member
Today I received a copy of James's Death Cert. He died May 3 1938 in the Goodna Mental Hospital. Never saw that one coming!!!! Cause of death sudden collapse, heart disease. He was buried in the "Asylum Cemetery" 2 days after he died. No listed marriages or children. The informants were the Hospital Medical Super and his sister Elizabeth.
Now....... I wonder how I access the medical records of this institution to find out when he was admitted, for what and what was his address prior to and his occupation????
Kath
Hi Kath,
The QLD state archives would most likely hold his medical records but they are usually sealed for 100 years from the date of death. BUT if you contact them they may give some information such as admission date. Worth a try as they wouldnt let me obtain my husband's great grandmother's records but they did inform me of dates etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Documents 10
DaveHam9 Marriages 14
DaveHam9 Scottish Genealogy Roots 35
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 3
DaveHam9 Deaths 44
DaveHam9 1851 Census Request 29