• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

BUCHANAN John Robert

John Robert Buchanan b. c1841 Dumbartonshire, d. 1919 Victoria, Australia. Married Mary Hartle/Hartlo 1874 in Victoria, Australia. Looking for parents of John Robert, George b. c1801 and Elizabeth Jane Buchanan nee Stewart/Stuart b c1811, Scotland. Any help will be much appreciated.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello otakiri,

On ScotlandsPeople using:

Family name: Buchanan

Given Name -starts with: John

From 1 Jan 1840 to 31 Dec 1843

Father: George

Returns nil hits.

I can't see the marriage of George to Elizabeth either on SP or IGI or WorldConnect.

Regards,

Dave

Dave, therein lies my problem. On the 1874 Kerang Marriage cert of John Robert Buchanan and Mary Hartle/o, John's parents recorded as, George Buchanan, Landed Proprietor and Elizabeth, maiden name Stewart/Stuart. John Robert recorded his birth place as Loch Lomond. Not at all a legible copy from Vic. BDM. Also have a copy of the death cert for John Robert 1919, Melbourne Benevolent Asylum where his parents recorded as, George Buchanan, Independent means and Elizabeth Jane Buchanan formerly Stewart. So John Robert could have been born anywhere in Dunbartonshire! Hence my hair pulling! Thanks Dave, Kath

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello otakiri,

There are several reasons why a birth for John Robert can't be found so far. It may not have been registered or it may have been registered outside Dumbartonshire even if the 'Loch Lomond' bit is correct. Even if the Victorian certificates are correct with 'George' it may be entered as Geo or Geo. in the birth record. Even the family name could be entered as BUCHANNAN.

Re Mary, I've seen one ref to her as Mary HARTLO born Cork, Ireland.

One quarter of my ancestry is Scottish and one quarter Irish so I know what it is like to have brick walls even in late 1800s. My English line goes back to 1666. :)

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Kath,

where did you see the ref to Mary Hartlo, Cork. In connection with who?
While searching I found one of your posts from August last year. :D

Not a new researcher.

Regards,

Dave

Think I have found a bit more about John Robert. The 1851 Cheltenham, UK census shows a John R aged 9 born in Scotland with George and Eliza G (fairly illegible) as head and wife. the 1841 Scotland census shows same parents and some matching siblings as does the 1861 Cheltenham, UK census but minus both George and John R. So not sure if this clears anything up for me or not. If I take this as gospel then John R was born after the 6th June 1841 and had left home by 1861 which ties in with my assumption that he went to Australia c1858. Now I need to look for ship departures from England rather than Scotland.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Kath,

I doubt thinking you know someone probably boarded a vessel to Australia in a Scottish, Irish or English port makes much difference in finding them in shipping records.

I have dozens in my tree I can't find anywhere in shipping records even knowing the exact year of arrival. We are especially lucky so many of the Bounty Scheme original records exist and are now digitised and available for free to view.

Regards,

Dave