• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

burials

Would it have been common practice in 1870s to send a body back to london from a town in the north east for burial.
I would have thought this unpractical give the distance, cost and transport available. Also am I correct in thinking that London had a big problem at the time with overcrowding in graveyards.

Flossy

sandyjose

Your post was a few years ago so I don't know if you got the answer to your question.Yes you are right in that London was overcrowded as regards burials.I don't know about bringing someone from a different area,if that person's home was London it could have been possible.A new cemetery was opened outside London I think it's in Surrey near Woking.It's called Brookwood,it was the biggest cemetery in Europe when it first opened.It was built there because communication with London was good,originally by barge and later by train.It's still there and still has burials it could still be the biggest in England. You can contact the cemetery at enquires@brookwoodcemetery.com they can tell you if your relative is buried there.Hope this helps

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Deaths 0
Ellie7 Genealogy General Help 2
L Genealogy General Help 3
p.risboy FHUK Funny Forum 0
p.risboy FHUK General Chat Room 0
DaveHam9 Deaths 10