• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Buried in wool.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Whist searching through parish records, I came accross the term 'Buried in wool'.
Not knowing what this meant, done the 'google' thingy.(God bless Google).
I came across this:-

http://www.traceyourpast.co.uk/woollenact.htm

It seems this was a government act of parliament to boost the wool trade. (Cynical or what). More money in the government pot.:mad:

Passing acts of this sort, seems to ring familiar today.

Steve.:)

Last edited:

marie44

Whist searching through parish records, I came accross the term 'Buried in wool'.
Not knowing what this meant, done the 'google' thingy.(God bless Google).
I acme accross this:-

http://www.traceyourpast.co.uk/woollenact.htm

It seems this was a government act of parliament to boost the wool trade. (Cynical or what). More money in the government pot.:mad:

Passing acts of this sort, seems to ring familiar today.

is that what they call 'died in the wool'?
tink:)

leefer

Loyal Member
Hope not..but what we must remember is that in days gone bye alot of the countrys farmers were sheep farmers and alot of people got rich on wool...it used to be a massive industry,wool was seen as a luxury so maybe it was just seen as a luxury for the dead...you only have to see our place nam,es like the woolstones etc to realise how many communitys relied on wool,so it was probably seen in them days like gold is today.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hope not..but what we must remember is that in days gone bye alot of the countrys farmers were sheep farmers and alot of people got rich on wool...it used to be a massive industry,wool was seen as a luxury so maybe it was just seen as a luxury for the dead...you only have to see our place nam,es like the woolstones etc to realise how many communitys relied on wool,so it was probably seen in them days like gold is today.
Hi Leefer,
I'm glad you're still here and not in the underworld.:)

If you looked at the link, it was an act of parliament that forced people to be buried in wool. The only reason why was to boost the wool trade.
You had to get permission to get buried in anything else. If you did not get permission you could be fined £5. That's a lot of money in the 17th century.:eek:

As for me, toss me in a ditch. Doh! forgot the EPA. :biggrin:

leefer

Loyal Member
Thanks steve..reminds me of the time a scientist crossed a sheep with a Kangaroo..and got a wooly jumper.
Guilty of not reading the link so all is explained now...couldnt even die in peace in those days.