• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Burrows From Lancashire,

Jac

Hi, Looking for any info on George Burrows born Lancashire , I have 2 different years for his birth .. Sept 1902 and 1904,
I found a record of whom i believe to be him on the 1939 census living with a wife .. Margaret Burrows Nee Parker, And 3 children, He stated he was born in 1902 , I then found a Marriage record and Bans for George and Margaret stating his birth year was 1904, It stated his Fathers name was also George Burrows occupation Engineers Pattern maker, I believe George Junior Left his wife and moved South where he met my Husbands Mother, I have reason to believe that George Senior had 2 other Children With a Jane Godkin Nee Jones , I think she may be George Junior's Mother too but can not find a birth certificate to proof it... George Senior Married Eveline Fairclough in 1911 ... And had another Daughter Doris Burrows born 1911

Jac

No, I don't have BC for George, I have never been able to find one as i don't know for sure who his Mother was, I have tried putting the name in for the woman i suspected was, But, No results, All i know is He said he came from Liverpool, We found the attached photo after he died,
The young man is our George and we believe the older man is his Father and the woman his Step mother Eveline, We think the little girl is Doris .. His Half Sister, I live in hope that some day someone will see it and recognise it. George.jpg

solidrock2

Loyal Member
Looks like George senior had 2 children with Eveline
BURROWS, DORIS mmn FAIRCLOUGH GRO Reference: 1911 D Quarter in TOXTETH PARK Volume 08B Page 286

BURROWS, SYDNEY mmn FAIRCLOUGH GRO Reference: 1914 J Quarter in TOXTETH PARK Volume 08B Page 321

Have you got the marriage for Jane as the only one I can find is to a Jones not Burrows.
Godkin Jane Jones Liverpool 8b 4 1916. Possibly Harry H Jones
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:26XG-D5Y

There is a Jane Godkin in the 1911 census a widow.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWTG-151

There is a birth for a George Burrows with mmn Jones in London.

BURROWS, GEORGE mmn JONES GRO Reference: 1902 D Quarter in ST. PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 112

Found Jane's first marriage
Marriages Dec 1898 Godkin Thomas W. Derby 8b571. JONES Jane West Derby 8b571

Interesting.
!911 census George age 7 with Jane and Doris but this Doris was born in 1906. o_O:unsure:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWTG-1RM

BURROWS, DORIS EILEEN mmn GODKIN GRO Reference: 1906 D Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 587

Last edited:

Jac

Hi, Thank you so much, I did have an inkling that there was also a Son Sydney but i had never found any records for him,
We do not believe there was a marriage between Jane and George Senior, I Did find her in the1911 census along with George age 7 which would make his birth year 1904 ( Depending on the month the census was taken His Birthday was in Sept ) and Doris, I found a birth record confirming that Jane was her Mother, But, I could find no record to confirm that she was George's .. Why would he be with her if she wasn't ? Another strange thing i found was ... A birth record for Another Doris born 1911.. Parents George and Eveline .. I think that she is the little girl in the Photo above.. Why would you name 2 of your Children Doris ? ... But.. That did happen in my family .. That's another story lol

Jac

Ah right I didnt think of that Thank you. .. . I dont think that was the case in this story tho.. When i found a 1925 MC for George Junior one of the witnesses was ... Doris Burrows ...

solidrock2

Loyal Member
This could be Sydney in 1939 living with his married sister Doris.
20 Althorp Street, Liverpool C.B., Lancashire, England
SydneyBurrows1914
Doris Harvey (Burrows) is also on this record

Jac

Thank you very much. I Believe this is Doris and Sydney ... She married a Harvey, Any idea what the CB stands for in the address ?

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Borough/district – This refers to the enumeration districts used in 1939. Those outside of London include various abbreviations after them:

R.D – rural district

U.D – urban district

M.B – municipal borough

C.B – county borough

E.D. letter codes – Enumeration District letter codes are displayed on the transcript and image.

Enumeration Districts – These start in London with AAA, then spiral out to an area corresponding roughly with modern Greater London boroughs, the surrounding Home Counties, an outer ring from Bedfordshire round to Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, the North East, the Lake District, Yorkshire, the North West, West Midlands, East Midlands, East Anglia, South West and finally Wales. Within each of these districts the counties are listed alphabetically, not geographically.

London – This starts with the City of London, followed by an alphabetical sequence of all the Metropolitan Boroughs and finally the City of Westminster.

Counties – Within each 'county' the County Boroughs come first, then the Municipal Boroughs and Urban Districts (combined), and finally the Rural Districts. Each section is in alphabetical order.

Yorkshire – This is divided into the three ridings.

Lincolnshire – This is divided into Holland, Kesteven and Lindsey.

Sussex – This is divided into East and West.

Isle of Wight – This is listed on its own, and not as part of Hampshire.

Rutland – This is a county on its own, and isn't lumped in with Leicestershire.

East Midlands – This finishes with the Soke of Peterborough, as though it were a separate county.

Cambridgeshire – Quite a lot of what we consider Cambridgeshire is actually listed as the Isle of Ely.

Birmingham and Bristol – These big cities both straddle county boundaries but are listed only in Warwickshire and Gloucestershire, respectively.