• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bustin of Binsey and Wytham

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello all.

Yes Julie that is my dads first wife and my long lost half brothers
Now I would love to know is are they still alive. I have tried looking
But can't access the pdf files on my mobile. I do know they were
Living in Norfolk or Suffolk.

Now can I ask you ALL FOR SOME ADVICE OPINION. If you were
My half brothers would you be annoyed if your half sister who's birth
Had caused your parents divorce contacted you.

Thank you for the link re my great uncles pension to his widow.

Can't wait to get on line to look at things properly. (thank you steve for your
Help)

Now to another problem. How accurate were the census for 1851 and 1861
As HENRY BUSTIN born 1845 at Woodstock Oxford does not appear until 1871
When he was married to Elizabeth BUSTIN NEE HASTINGS . What do you think
Is the reason for this. They had 1 son in 1871 HENRY W BUSTIN AGE ONE YEAR
By the way.

Thank you all.

Gwenyth

Hi Gwenyth, Have you tried name variations. Busting/Busking/Buston etc. Same with Hastin/Haystin/Hasking etc.

Steve.:)

gedcom

Hi Gwyneth

Great news with your progress.

Henry Bustin is on the 1851 census, as Hy Bustin, with grandmother Elizabeth. They are in Woolvercott. It is not easy to read or work out relationships.

Gedcom

Adding information - I suspect Elizabeth is the grandmother as she is 67 years old and a widowed coal merchant. With her are her son, which I think says Thomas who is married (to?) Sophia spelt Sophiah and then a list of children. These are down as Sons and Daughters but instead of being Elizabeth's sons and daughters I think they could be Thomas and Sophia's. Charles, Richard, Sophia, Hellen and a Julia?

gedcom

I think the 1861 census for the Woodstock/Woolvercott area is damaged or missing. I cannot find this family in 1861 so could just be unlucky with that.

Gedcom

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think the 1861 census for the Woodstock/Woolvercott area is damaged or missing. I cannot find this family in 1861 so could just be unlucky with that.

Gedcom
Hi Jed & Gwen,

Just found this:-

http://www.ofhs.org.uk/index.html

They appear to have 1861census on disc, plus loads of other stuff. But it does say exactly what gedcom said.

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gwyneth,

Well its clear that you would like to get in touch, but be prepared for any knock backs, though my opinon is that grudges shouldnt be held against you at all. Bearing in mind that they would be elderly and time heals, they may have been wondering about you over the years. Its a 50 50 here, so will leave it up to you what to do. The Salvation Army have a living people search service, though dont know what it costs.

Hi Gwyneth

Henry Bustin is on the 1851 census, as Hy Bustin, with grandmother Elizabeth. They are in Woolvercott. It is not easy to read or work out relationships.

Gedcom

Adding information - I suspect Elizabeth is the grandmother as she is 67 years old and a widowed coal merchant. With her are her son, which I think says Thomas who is married (to?) Sophia spelt Sophiah and then a list of children. These are down as Sons and Daughters but instead of being Elizabeth's sons and daughters I think they could be Thomas and Sophia's. Charles, Richard, Sophia, Hellen and a Julia?
Hi all

Thank you all so much, you are all stars. That sounds like it is the right HENRY BUSTIN. I think that many people were not very well educated in those days. It seams a strange occupation for a woman not many woman even today are coal merchants maybe she took over the business from her husband (was she a Bustin?)

Thank you for your advice Julie re contacting my half brothers I will try the phone directory first as I think my father mentioned that they were living in norfolk when I was a child. But I think if I do find them I will use a mediator as steve suggested. Being an only child I have often thought about them. The last time I saw them
I was about three but because my Father didn't approve of their wives there was an argument and I never saw them again.

Anyway thanks for the advice folks.

Gwenyth

Hi Gwyneth

Gedcom

Hi friends

Can I ask what site you were using Gedcom as when I do a search on FMP on 1851 I am told there are 0 results. I must be doing something wrong or you are using a better site.

How would I find out about Elizabeth (aged67) as I would think this is going to be before census and marriage records

Any ideas or help please?

Thanks

Gwenyth

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi friends

Can I ask what site you were using Gedcom as when I do a search on FMP on 1851 I am told there are 0 results. I must be doing something wrong or you are using a better site.

How would I find out about Elizabeth (aged67) as I would think this is going to be before census and marriage records

Any ideas or help please?

Thanks

Gwenyth
Hi Gwyneth,
Just browsing through Oxford parish records and found-

John Bustin married Elizabeth Cooper at Wolvercote, 02/10/1787

And-

Richard Bustin married Elizabeth Markham at Wolvercote, 01/01/1812

Any help ??

Hi Gwyneth,
Just browsing through Oxford parish records and found-

John Bustin married Elizabeth Cooper at Wolvercote, 02/10/1787

And-

Richard Bustin married Elizabeth Markham at Wolvercote, 01/01/1812

Any help ??

Hi steve.

Your a star thank you . I think it be Richard Bustin that I need I now need to check that tha are the parents of Thomas Bustin and so to (
To Harry Bustin.

I can't wait to get on line properly on my pc. These touch screen mobiles are a pain. Touch the screen in the wrong place and what you have just written has disappeared for ever
Thanks for all your help folks it is appreciated very much

Gwenyth.

gedcom

Hi Gwenyth and everyone

The 1851 census on FMP only covers a couple of counties so far, I believe they have only just started to add it to their site.

I will put the Piece and Folio and Page number for the 1851 - Piece: 1730; Folio: 463; Page: 3.

Gedcom

Hi Gwenyth and everyone

The 1851 census on FMP only covers a couple of counties so far, I believe they have only just started to add it to their site.

I will put the Piece and Folio and Page number for the 1851 - Piece: 1730; Folio: 463; Page: 3.

Gedcom
Hi all

Thank you Gedcome. That was very kind of you. I think I am going to have to wait until I get my pc online to look at the births to trace Thomas Bustin parents
I think it could be RICHARD BUSTIN and ELIZABETH MARKHAM who married 1812
As with everything it a case of double checking everything and of course I need this information to fill in all the siblings to fill my family tree.

Thank you all for your kind help

Gwenyth

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi all

Thank you Gedcome. That was very kind of you. I think I am going to have to wait until I get my pc online to look at the births to trace Thomas Bustin parents
I think it could be RICHARD BUSTIN and ELIZABETH MARKHAM who married 1812
As with everything it a case of double checking everything and of course I need this information to fill in all the siblings to fill my family tree.

Thank you all for your kind help

Gwenyth
Hi Gwenyth,

Just for interest, have a look at this when you can.

http://oxfordshirechurches.info/index.html

Hi Gwenyth,

Just for interest, have a look at this when you can.

http://oxfordshirechurches.info/index.html

Hi STEVE AND FREINDS

Thank you for that link. There are some really nice pictures of many of the churches in Oxfordshire…some
May be useful for others with oxfordshire relies in their tree. I think I am very lucky Oxfordshire seas to e well
Documented and of course I have lots of good friends to help me.

Gwenyth

Dear Friends
Could some kind person look at the 1911 census for BINSEY as I would like to know the names of my fathers older
Older siblings my grandfather was FREDERICK WILLIAM BUSTIN (occupation cowman) his mother w
as ANNIE BUSTIN (1879-1914). I believe one of the sons was called fred who later became a train driver in South Wales
mt father was not born until 1913

Thankyou

Gwenyth

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gwenyth,

The 1911 census is a pay per view site which isnt at the moment on subscription. It's 30 credits to view the house hold image and about 10 or 12 credits to view the transcription.

Q
Hi Gwenyth,

The 1911 census is a pay per view site which isnt at the moment on subscription. It's 30 credits to view the house hold image and about 10 or 12 credits to view the transcription.
Thank you julie

Sorry didn't know it was a pay per view site. I will have to wait until I can get the land line to get
Internet access. Thank you for your help. When I do get connected I hope to help you as you have
Looked up many things already thank you again julie.

GWENYTH

I AM TRYING TO TRACE THE DEATH OF MY GRANDFATHER FREDERICK WILIAM BUSTIN BORN SOMETIME IN 1877. On some records he is known as FREDERICK JAMES BUSTIN.
I believe he died at Wokingham whilst living with one of his sons but am not sure. Any help is appreciated.

Gwen