• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Bustin/Robson or Robinson

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi

I hope someone can help please.

I have lost a family in 1841, They should be in Wolvercote, Oxford.

They are Thomas Bustin 1819, his wife?? Sophia Robson 1819 or Robinson and son Richard 1840, Sophia had another son Charles born 1837 who is with her parents Thomas and Sarah in Wolvercote, I have no marriage for Thomas and Sophia but in the parish records Richards mother is named as Sophia Bustin and fathers occ is desribed as Boatman.

This one has prooved a brick wall for me, can anyone help please?

Gwen :)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gwen.

If Thomas was a boatman, he could be missed on census in 1841.

There is a Sophie BUSTON living in St.Pancras. Marylebone. n.b.i.c.

And a Charles Buston c1828. Living in Goring Heath, with a James Whitfield c1811. in 1841.

Thomas could be in London somewhere, and Sophia in Lodgings, as she could be expecting Richard by then. EDIT: Born and baptised in 1840. Duuuuh. I'm a Wally.:biggrin:

Just a thought.:confused:

Steve.:)

Last edited:

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Steve,

That one is a little strange as I would have thought we would find a marriage in the national registration as it wold have taken place after Charles was born in 1838 (from Wolvercote parish record) but I cannot find it, also why was Charles with his grandparents in 1941? also if Thomas was on board a boat where was Sophia and baby Richard born 1840? I am wondering if they were in a workhouse or maybe in prison? :confused:

Gwen :confused:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve,

That one is a little strange as I would have thought we would find a marriage in the national registration as it wold have taken place after Charles was born in 1838 (from Wolvercote parish record) but I cannot find it, also why was Charles with his grandparents in 1941? also if Thomas was on board a boat where was Sophia and baby Richard born 1840? I am wondering if they were in a workhouse or maybe in prison? :confused:

Gwen :confused:
If he was a boatman, they could be on the canals or river, and got missed on the census.:confused:

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
If he was a boatman, they could be on the canals or river, and got missed on the census.:confused:
Hi Steve that is a definate option to the mystery, I would love to find the marriage as well, also again they are missing in 1861, nearly having nightmares about them, :confused::confused:>:D

Gwen

Hi, I had Ellen Bustin's birth Cert a couple of days ago and have confirmed Thomas Bustin's 'Wife as Sophia Robinson, all their previous children are not on the General Register although they are on the parish records of baptism for Wolvercott Oxford, I have still failed to find a marriage for Thomas and Sophia although their first child Charles was born illegitimate according to the parish register of 1838 but in the same register for Richard in 1840 they appear to be married, The same curate recorded both baptisms so he surely would have been aware that they were not married, strange?

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thinking outside the box now Gwen.

There is a 1825 marriage in Salford, Oxfordshire for a Sophia Robinson to a Thomas Hedges(of Highclere, HAM). (Sorry, but I can't remember Sophia's y.o.b, to make that work).

Could she have married as Sophia Hedges, as a Widow.:confused:

Can't find a marriage in the OxFHS Marriage index for a Sophia Hedges though.:'(

A Thomas Bustin married a Ann Woodcock 1833 @ Beckley.:rolleyes:

Are you sure he never had a wife in every port.:2fun::2fun:

Steve.:)

Hi, Sophia Robinson was baptised in Wolvercott on 20 February 1820 so I doubt if that was the same Sophia unless she was older when she was baptised. Thank You Steve.