• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Calcutta Free School

From
England
Hi, I have just discovered that an ancestor of my husbands namely Charles Redman born Abbotts Ann Hampshire was a teacher at the above school sometime during the 1860's. He was living in Southampton in 1861 Lodging with a William and Maria Bond his occ. was given as National schoolmaster. He was aged 21.

I have found information on Rootsweb that says he married a Lily Helen Doeg in 1866 in Bengal. they apparently had a daughter Lily Helen Redman born Calcutta 1866/1867. Charles is then shown as marrying Elizabeth Ford inthe latter part of 1879. The family is on the 1881 census including a son Charles. on the 1891 census there is also another dau. Rhoda who was born c 1882

Another Redman researcher has just found some old Abbotts Ann church magazines from 1875 that states Charles was teaching at Calcutta Free School. Has anyone any idea how I can find out about the school?

Thanks ElwynB.

Back