• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Calling all Harrington family members

Hi Bob!

Perched at the top of my tree I have my Gt x 8 Grandfather William Harrington 1660 - 1706 of Essex, married to Mary. But there the trail ends, thus far. My brother had a DNA test so I guess it was he who matched your test.

If you'd like further info on subsequent generations please let me know.

John Harrington

John,
Thanks for the information. My Robert Harrington was born in 1616, but your William in Essex might descend from an earlier William, I hope. It's a shame that William is your brick wall. With the many spellings of the name, tracing ancestors is difficult. I have the same problem with Keniston. I'll be in touch if I track any William down.
Bob Keniston

Hi Bob!

Perched at the top of my tree I have my Gt x 8 Grandfather William Harrington 1660 - 1706 of Essex, married to Mary. But there the trail ends, thus far. My brother had a DNA test so I guess it was he who matched your test.

If you'd like further info on subsequent generations please let me know.

John Harrington
Seems interesting that some (at least) of the Essex Harringtons match Y-DNA, indicating a common ancestry in the past few hundred years.

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/harrington/results

Would be interesting to see more tests done to see if the oft-quoted Edmund Harrington of Great Maplestead or Sible Hedingham link to the Exton family could be proven or disproven via DNA.

In my own research I can't seem to get beyond the seventeenth century. In the parish register I'm interested in, there's a note saying that the clerk died and left no note of who was baptised, married or buried that year! Documentary evidence seems hard to find to get much further back than the seventeenth century (for me at least...).