• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Campaign to Open Historic Registers

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
100,000 signatures should get a debate in Parliament, but I'm not convinced this subject will be given the priority it deserves. Still, I'm a cynic!:rolleyes:
Yes, the petition is only a small part of the campaign, and is very much a calculated risk.
If it fails to reach the 100,000 mark that failure could be used by opposition to defeat any debate in parliament brought by MPs who support the campaign.

In the mean time we are lobbying MPs, and gaining support wherever we can.
For instance Lord Teviot who got a very similar Bill passed in the House of Lords (in 1983) has given the campaign his support. If it had not been for the general election it would probably have been passed in the Commons as well and would be law now.

In addition a number of volunteer groups and private companies support the campaign.
We have collated thousands of pages of information about previous campaigns, bills, questions in both Houses of Parliament, gathered evidence from an earlier Royal Commission collated the arguments for and against the idea in order to build a strong case for legislation.

We are able to show that is it in the Public Interest for the registers to be open.
Now however we have reached the stage to ask for public support and action in the form of signing the petition and writing to their member of parliament.
The more MPs, of all parties, we get behind the campaign the more chance of success.
Cheers
Guy

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
The petition has slowed down but the campaign is still in full swing, so please write or email your MP if you are in the UK.

For those who live outside the UK and are not eligible to sign the original petition there is an opportunity to sign a petition on the 38 degrees site
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/open-historic-registers

However I must stress I feel the best course of action is to write or email MPs asking them to ask questions in the house and to support the campaign.
Please visit the campaign pages at
http://anguline.co.uk/ohrn.html

Cheers
Guy