• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Can anyone date this photo?

This photo was found recently in a box of old family photos. It may be possible to identify the lady if I knew the date of the photograph. The style of dress may be a clue to the date. Any help gratefully received.
Carol :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sterico

Loyal Member
Hi Carol,
Just looking at your pic, as Dark Crystal has already said it is not going to be easy to assertain the date, as a pure guess i would say it could be the early 1900 to 1930s, is there any vague writing on the rear or numbers at all?
best regards stericoO0

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

It may be worth getting in contact with a professional photograph dater. I think you can get old photos dates from marks and writing on the back, and also they may be able to tell from the condition of the actual photo.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Carol,
Have you any other photo's in your box of this women, and even the cat and horse to compare to. Was the cat or the horse named Bob.:confused:
The barn doors seem to be of a sliding variety, not sure if that is of any significance to date it.
It almost looks American.???

Steve.:)

Hi Steve
Thankyou for your reply. Unfortunately I have no further information on the lady or animals in the photo. The photo was e.mailed to me by my cousin who found it in a box of photos belonging to his late mother. All the other photos were recognised as family members so we assume that this one has a family connection. Your suggestion of an American background could lead us in that direction as I have a vague recollection of my paternal grandmother May Annie Young b.1879 corresponding with her two sisters Annie and Clara who lived in America. Your observations are a great help, we hadn't thought beyond the London area as a location for the photo.
Many thanks :kissu:
Carol

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve
Thankyou for your reply. Unfortunately I have no further information on the lady or animals in the photo. The photo was e.mailed to me by my cousin who found it in a box of photos belonging to his late mother. All the other photos were recognised as family members so we assume that this one has a family connection. Your suggestion of an American background could lead us in that direction as I have a vague recollection of my paternal grandmother May Annie Young b.1879 corresponding with her two sisters Annie and Clara who lived in America. Your observations are a great help, we hadn't thought beyond the London area as a location for the photo.
Many thanks :kissu:
Carol
Hi Carol,
Just had another peek at your photo, you could try and trace the LOGO on the back top rh corner.
Steve:)

Hi Steve, my cousin thinks that our great aunt was married to an artist and that they went to America. As we don't know the name of this man we are stuck at this point:confused: so it's probably a good thing to put on the back burner for now. Thank you and every one for all your help. Carol

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve, my cousin thinks that our great aunt was married to an artist and that they went to America. As we don't know the name of this man we are stuck at this point:confused: so it's probably a good thing to put on the back burner for now. Thank you and every one for all your help. Carol

No back burners here Carol. :) Do you know your Great Aunts name/details. Will have a look for you if you like.

Steve.:)

Hi Steve, Wow! how masterful! My grandmother May Annie Young born 29 Oct. 1879 in Camberwell, Surrey. She had two sisters, Clara Eliza Young born c.1878 and Annie Young believed born after the 1881 census. Clara married Arthur Burrell at Camberwell 1900. I don't know if or who Annie married. I have been told that both sisters emigrated to America but have no idea when.
Thankyou for your continued interest. Carol :)

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Carol,

A possibilty for Clara and Arthur 1930 USA

Home Berkley, Oakland, Michigan

Arthur Burrell head age 54 born South Wales occ artistic ---------
Clara Burrell wife age 52 born England

Year of immigration 1910

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Found Arthur and Clara plus child (no name) on the Detroit border crossings and passenger list

Arrival date 18 Jul 1911

Arthur Burrell
Age 37
Birthplace Peckham, Sry (Surrey)
Birth Country England
Occ painter
Port of arrival Michigan
Accom by wife clara
Departure contact brother Geo Burrell
Arrival contact friend T Lester