• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Can anyone tell me please

Lynne Ryan

OK hERE IS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ..I have a name and about birth ,no marriage ,about death date,but can find no trace FROM most place there is to search..WE JUST COME UP BLANK..S o now think the dates are outside of the limit..
Is it possible to go to BMD COURT HOUSE OR LOCAL OFFICE AND SEARCH THE RECORDS,OR WILL THEY DO THAT ,IF THE DATE IS OUTSIDE THE FREE SEARCH YEARS...I CAN;T SEE ANY REASON TO ASK FOR A CERT,IF YOU ARE NOT CERTAIN THIS IS THE PERSON YOU WANT TO TRACE....iS THERE A FEE FOR THEM SEARCHING..wE KNOW THIS PERSON WAS BORN AT A CERTAIN PLACE ,WE KNOW NOT THE YEARONLY ABOUT DATE..
We know by establishing the right factS of this person a few brick wall are sure to fall.. ,
When you pay a yearly fee to a certain family history group ,does this entitle you to keep searching thru all year....
Being not crush hot with search out,makes things differcult..So need some expert help please ..Lynne

duckweed

Loyal Member
Number 1, You can go to any local archive or Family Study section in a Library and see the BMD free of charge. Just go to your local archive (you may need a passport size Photo) fill in a form and they will give you a readers ticket. You will probably have to book some time to search there. That's basically it.
Number 2 If you've paid a years fee to an organisation you are entitled to a years searching.
There are some where you pay as you go and some you pay by direct debit monthly and you can stop any time.
Number 3
If you have an idea of place of birth and approximate year etc and the same for marriage, try looking at parish records especially if you are near the right archive or ask someone here. They may be able to look up for you when they go to the archive. Some counties also have their own BMD site such as Lancashire, Teeside, Yorkshire.
Number 4
Archives will search for you but they will charge quite a high fee.

Who are you searching for? Gives us a few details and maybe we can help.

Lynne Ryan

Hello ,thank you so much for your reply..i AM looking for a Vera Ethel Shepherd,nee waddington ,born 1917 mackay qld australia..
m..? fox can't find marriage cert..but know it was so..
had 4 kids.
fox died 1942 tully queensland australia
became shepherd when ? where?
to a fredrick shepherd
had 1 shepherd son b,?
Queensland Australia..
then dissapeared ..
I have searched and searched,so only alternative i feel go join group,society etc,
So have arranged for a day with my daughter to help me out ..So if i find things and i get a ticket of sorts.i then may also in turn be able to help others out in their quests ..
So thank you again for info ..cheers Lynne:biggrin: :kissu:

duckweed

Loyal Member
Joining a society sounds great idea. Maybe you could look for a family search centre run by the church of the latter day saints too (ie mormons) They will give you access to lots of details. Try genes reunited too.

prefabkid

OK hERE IS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ..I have a name and about birth ,no marriage ,about death date,but can find no trace FROM most place there is to search..WE JUST COME UP BLANK..S o now think the dates are outside of the limit..
Is it possible to go to BMD COURT HOUSE OR LOCAL OFFICE AND SEARCH THE RECORDS,OR WILL THEY DO THAT ,IF THE DATE IS OUTSIDE THE FREE SEARCH YEARS...I CAN;T SEE ANY REASON TO ASK FOR A CERT,IF YOU ARE NOT CERTAIN THIS IS THE PERSON YOU WANT TO TRACE....iS THERE A FEE FOR THEM SEARCHING..wE KNOW THIS PERSON WAS BORN AT A CERTAIN PLACE ,WE KNOW NOT THE YEARONLY ABOUT DATE..
We know by establishing the right factS of this person a few brick wall are sure to fall.. ,
When you pay a yearly fee to a certain family history group ,does this entitle you to keep searching thru all year....
Being not crush hot with search out,makes things differcult..So need some expert help please ..Lynne
Hi Lynne
Duckweed was right in suggesting Genes Reunited if you haven't already subscribed it's not expensive.I have been a member for a couple of years and the number of contacts I have made is amazing.You may be surprised how many people may be researching branches of your tree :rolleyes:
Although I am in the UK one of my first contacts was in Australia and have exchanged much information and even gave me further contacts in the UK.
I am now in touch with family members in USA,Canada and various parts of Europe.
Happy hunting
prefabkid

Lynne Ryan

THANK YOU ALL FOR ANSWERING AND THE GREAT IDEAS,I'LL POST AS SOON AS WE GET TO THE PLACES WE NEED TOO ..SO MNY BRICK WALLS ARE STARTING TO SURFACE ,HERE AND THERE ITS AMAZING WHERE THEY ALL COME FROM SO FAST ..
CHEERS MATES LYNNE