• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Cannot find wifes name

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Hi All,
Just found another brick wall. Done a marriage search on An****try and found a marriage that may be of help in finding my wifes GGrandmothers surname the husbands name comes up but no further detail on the registry entry.
The marriage was in Sep 1856 in St Ives and is given as St Ives 3b 397.

Is there any other way of getting the wifes surname without spending the £9 for a certificate.

Peter

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Oops St Ives District Huntingdonshire.
The man is Abraham Prime and the wife is Mary thats all I have and I got that some fromr marriage index and the wife from 1861 cENSUS.

Peter

Last edited:

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I had another thought (painfull I know) and tried the IGI index and found a record of a Abramham Prime who married a Catherine Bennett on 21 July 1856, so it appears to be the wrong one.
Did another search on the 1861 census and found 2 as listed Abram Pryme's both in needingham and born in 1837 and 1838. But as usual nothing other than the record of the one with wife Mary.
This side of the family is still a mystery.
Peter

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Peter,

The marriage you found in 1856 for Abraham shows the bride is a Catherine Bennett, marriage 21 Jul 1856,
Holywell Cum Needingworth, Huntingdon, England

You'll find this on the familysearch site.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Theres a marriage in 1859 Abraham Prime bride listed is a Mary Ann Turner, Jul/Aug/Sept 1/4 district St. Ives.

Hi
Are you saying the marriage was not sept qtr 1856?
These are the Mary's that got married in St Ives Hunts Sept qtr 1856
mary Behagg
Mary Ann Feekins
Mary Hodson
Mary Newcombe
Mary An Stukins
and Mary Samworth

dave

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Mary gives her place of birth on the census as Needingworth.

Found this one for 1841

Civil parish Holywell Cum Needingworth
RD St. Ives
Sub RD St. Ives

High Street

William Turner age 45 occ ag. lab
Elizabeth Turner age 45
George Turner age 15
Henry Turner age 15
Mary Turner age 10
Elizabeth Turner age 6

All born in county

Class HO107
Piece 448
Book 7
Folio 27
Page 31

One of their childrens birth certificates will give mothers maiden name.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
The 1856 was me clutching at straws as it was the only one I found for Prime(Pryme). Th eturner connection is fitting well with the other scant information that I have. The real person I am trying to trace is listed as Hannah Prime in the 1861 census with age shown as 10yrs whereas Abram Prime's age is shown as 23yrs so I believe that the Hannah listed is in realality a Hannah Turner the sister of Mary Ann Turner.
I have found a birth listed for a Hannah edwards Turner in sep 1851 at St Ives.
The father a Thomas Turner is shown as a widower in the 1851 census which leaves the mother of Hannah Turner a bit suspect and unknown, hence my digging wider than normal. I suspect I will now have to send for Hannahs birth certificate and see what it will tell me.

Peter

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Thanks for the info on public family trees but when I try to view them it appears to be asking for a subsciption a bit loath as I already have another subscription and I am only after a couple of bits left to fill in.

peter

Hi Peter
You can either send me your email address by P.M and I'll pass it on to a tree owner, or post exact details of what you still want , and I'll see if I can find it for you. It won't be until tomorrow night though.

dave

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the offer but I took advantage of the free offer and had a look.
Some more information and a lot that just insn't correct.
The main problem that I have is trying to get to the bottom of what appears to be a family mystery.
The wifes GGrandmother I know for certain married a Benjamin Binge in 1883 and in 1885 the GGmother was born. I have the certificates for those events so far so good, the 1891 census is also correct but no other.
The GGranmother died in 1897.
Now tracing backwards from the GGM's step sister who married in 1901 with a surname of Allen and a brother John.
Tracing all these back I found the John Allan in Barrow upon Humber all the references to places of birth matched but I have not found a marriage for John and Hannah.
All this is circumspect as when she married Binge she was now called Annie Turner.
In all a big jigsaw puzzle with parts a bit miss coloured but all the more interesting.
The bit that amazes me is the fact that name changes are all a bit blazay and very willy nilly.

Thanks for all the help

Peter

Hi Peter.
Is there any significance in there being a couple Peter 20 and Kate Prime 19, living next door to Benjamin and Annie in 1891. They were both born in Needingworth, same as Annie

dave

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Well thats some coincidence, as the Peter Prime is the son of Abraham Prime and Mary Ann Turner.
It certainly is a very small world in Needingworth as Peter's wife ,Kate Ayres is there as well.
Thats the trouble with this family the ones that dont really matter tie up just so well.

Peter