• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Casualty receords PO Thomas William Hickson

Hello,

I have only just joined on here and wondering if anyone can help me.
I am researching my grt grandfather who was Stoker Petty Officer on HMAS Sydney in WW1.
His name was Thomas William Hickson 1880 -1915.
I did not know anything about him until a few months ago because he seems to be rather a mystery in our family!!
We know that he died (rather horrifically I suspect) of a burst aortic aneurism which is very rare in men under 60 (he was 35)
I have his service records and birth/death certs but other than that we know very little.
He was in British Navy 1903 - 1913 but for some reason left and joined with RAN (Australian Navy in 1913 - no 7991) leaving behind a wife with 5 children under 10 and expecting a 6th. We have no idea why he left and I really want to know how I can find a list of any casualties aboard this ship in 1915.
It could be that the aneurism was caused by an accident and I would really like to clairfy this. Surely there must be medical records of sailors injured on ships?
The other mystery is that we have no photos of him whatsoever. He is on Roll of Honour and buried at Gosport Naval Cemetery. We have photos of his wife and children but not him. This is odd since he is supposed to have died a hero?!!
Thanks,

Adrienne.