• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Cathedral Manchester registers

Hi all
Is there anywhere I can see either banns or details of a marriage here in 1840? I have names and dates but am trying to establish if the bride used her maiden name or married name and was a widow. To clarify - my ggg grandad's mother Sarah Clark married John McAllister in 23/8/1840. Wanting to know was Clark her maiden or married name?
IGI doesn't say, no listing for the marriage on Lancs OPC and UKBMD only has "Clark" - no alternate name. This makes me believe my ggg grandad James was illegitimate and his "dad" on his marriage cert was fabricated??
Cheers
Karen

Robesur

You need to see the original entry and not a transcript. As it is an extracted entry on the IGI, then the Church of Latter Day Saints will hold the film copy of the register which you could arrange to see at your nearest Family History Centre. Alternatively, purchase a copy of the certificate yourself, which if you are seriously researching your family tree you will need to go further back in time, as almost certainly this will be the earliest event for which official documentation is available.

You can buy the certificate online at an equivalent cost of £9.25 sterling direct from the General Register Office just by quoting their reference which is Manchester, September Quarter 1840, Volume 20, Page 452. Go to http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You need to see the original entry and not a transcript. As it is an extracted entry on the IGI, then the Church of Latter Day Saints will hold the film copy of the register which you could arrange to see at your nearest Family History Centre. Alternatively, purchase a copy of the certificate yourself, which if you are seriously researching your family tree you will need to go further back in time, as almost certainly this will be the earliest event for which official documentation is available.

You can buy the certificate online at an equivalent cost of £9.25 sterling direct from the General Register Office just by quoting their reference which is Manchester, September Quarter 1840, Volume 20, Page 452. Go to http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Hi Rob
I have orderd their films before only to get an index, not the register, so I think I will just order the cert instead. I was curious if there was any way of seeing the registry. Can't seem to find any CD's with marriages, only burials.
Cheers
Karen

Hi :)
Sarah as Clarke marriage
to John McAllister
Manchester Collegiate Church
Lancs BMD 1840
CATH/16/398
oznannie
go to GRO as advised to get marr cert
Hi Nannie
Thanks for the ref, I did find this - funny it's not on BMD though? I will order the cert to see if she never married a John Clarke and it was her "born" name.
Cheers
Karen

Robesur

You will find the real registers at the appropiate County record Office. In this case Lancashire. As far as I am aware though the only County that has attempted to put them online so that you can see them at home is Essex, but this is an ongoing job far from complete, although excellent where it has been done.