• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Census Accuracy.

From
Canada
Anyone have any idea just how 'accurate' these census' are? Also, how accurate the transcripts from them are? I realize errors are bound to happen, but sometimes the errors are so obvious it seems no one bothers to 'proof read' anything. To be more precise, I know that Durward Brown (Architect from Fifishire, Scotland) is listed in the 1891 and 1901 Census of England and Wales. I also know from the 1911/1912 London Street Directory and the South Paddington Election Rolls of 1911 and 1913 that his address was 41 Hyde Park Square, London, yet he doesn't seem to be listed in the 1911 Census. This is ony one example. Earlier census'/transcripts have other errors and/or omissions in regard to the names I am researching.

Anyone have any idea just how 'accurate' these census' are? Also, how accurate the transcripts from them are? I realize errors are bound to happen, but sometimes the errors are so obvious it seems no one bothers to 'proof read' anything. To be more precise, I know that Durward Brown (Architect from Fifishire, Scotland) is listed in the 1891 and 1901 Census of England and Wales. I also know from the 1911/1912 London Street Directory and the South Paddington Election Rolls of 1911 and 1913 that his address was 41 Hyde Park Square, London, yet he doesn't seem to be listed in the 1911 Census. This is ony one example. Earlier census'/transcripts have other errors and/or omissions in regard to the names I am researching.

Hello,

On the 1911censusonline site, I used the criteria "Brown" "architect" and "Hyde Park Square" in the search box. This is what came up.

BROWN ALFRED RICHARD M born 1874, aged 37, living in St George London

Could this be your man with the first name mistrancribed?

Btw, I have found many inaccuracies of age/names etc in the censuses, but it all adds to the thrill of the chase! :biggrin:

Josie

Thanks for your replies. Hi Josie, sorry but the date and age are out by about 20 years or so. Quite certain that is not the Brown I am searching for. I would really like to know if there was anyone else in his household, as previous census records show him as single, and the London Directory and South Paddington Election Roll only list head of the family/voter.

Back