• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

census problems

Ellie

Loyal Member

Hi wondered if anyone could help me? I have been trying to trace one of my ancestors and I'm confused!:confused: One of my ancestors was born in 1875 and passed away in 1918. I know where he was born and where he died. Also I know where he was living in 1901, but the rest of the census from 1881 onwards in confusing as my matches don't match age wise. I know there are some inaccuracies with age but these 'age gaps' seem too big. Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ellie,

It may be that the enumerator mistrancribed the details (couldnt read his own handwriting).

Post the details on the appropriate forum and will see if we can find your ancestor.

darkcrystal

Valued Member
Hi Ellie and welcome to fhuk

if you post a name/date/place of birth. then we can help locate and see what the problem is,

do you have any certificates either death/marriage/or birth? this would help greatly (but isnt too much of a problem if you havent, yet!)

:)

Last edited:

Ellie

Loyal Member
Here is the information I found regarding my family tree. I'm trying to find William Hollins born about 1875 in Longton Staffordshire. The information I have listed below is rather misleading. On the 1901 census William, is 27 and marries Ester Rees. I know this information is correct.I also know that much of my family came from John street, Longton area.However the part that reallt confuses me is that William's fathers name on his (Williams) marriage certificate is given as Charles, I can only find one record of a Charles,and his age in 1901 is given as 68, yet his occupation appears to be given as 'carter', I would have thought at that age he wouldn't be working IF its the same man?

HOLLINS FAMILY

William snr 41, carter.
Sarah 41
Louisa 19, Potter's baker of ovenware.
Florence 17 Potter's lathe treader.
James H 14, Coal carter.
Gertrude 11, Scholar.
Lizzie 10, Scholar
Hannah 10 months.

Living at 16, Middle John Street, Longton, Staffs.

William Hollins Jr aged 27, (according to the census) marries Esther Rees, aged 22.

William - Potter's placer earth worker
Esther - Potter's throwers asst.

Living at 7, Ford Street Longton.

William Hollins Snr (DOB 1855, Longton) aged 35, a Carter married to Sarah(DOB 1857, Ellastone) aged 30- housewife.

William Jnr ( grandad Hollins) aged 10
Lousia 8
Florence 6
James H 3
Getrude 1

Living at 10, Peel St, Longton.

William Snr - aged 26 Carter
Sarah -28
William Jr 4mths.

Living at 10, peel street.

1901 marriage certificate for Esther Hollins (nee reese) & William hollins gives the name of williams father as Charles, not William? Charles worked as a miner/carter. The 1901 census has one possible match, but his age in 1901 is 68. ? retired.

darkcrystal

Valued Member
do you have Williams marriage cert to Esther at all? if so can you list the witness' please.

I see them on the 1901 cens but thats as far as i have got at the moment.

re Charles occupation/working at 68.. it wasnt uncommon for me to still be working even when they were 75... you have to remember that there wasnt any state pension at that time and if you had to see a doctor you had to pay for them to come out to you.

so in answer yes it is very plausable that Charles was working then.

darkcrystal

Valued Member
Ok thats not a problem,

do you have a death cert for william? jr? If he died after 1969 then his DOB should be on his cert. (as this is when they began to add them)

if not, it doesnt matter, am sure that we can find something out and begin to unravel this :)

it might be that Williams father was a Charles William or a William Charles,

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ellie,

I agree with Julie about his fathers name. I've had the same problem a couple of times with mine.

Seeing that you are in Staffordshire would it be possible for you to have a look through the parish records for his birth and to see what it has for his fathers name for the marriage.