• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Change of Name

Good morning,

I'm having difficulties to find out the reason behind a name change back in the 1850's.

Was this a common practice?
Did it have to go through legal processess? If so whom
My GG Grandfather George T C Merritt changed not only his name but the whole family to John Church born 1816 of Bishops Waltham.
He was then found in Somerleyton, Suffolk (Name change to Church) If you can help with some advise it would fantastic

Many thanks Phil

Llewred

The London Gazette, The Gazette | Official Public Record publishes name changes by deed poll, if they went down that route. I have found several changes by that means. Besides not liking the name there could be a whole host of reasons. Have you searched newspapers? Home | Search the archive | British Newspaper Archive Try searching both names and any addresses you have, that might give you a clue, escaping debt, justice etc or some other reason. If it was Debt, the the London Gazette also published debtors/bankrupts etc

What did the T.C stand for? Finding quite a few George Merritt's with similar years of birth.

Regards
Mark

The London Gazette, The Gazette | Official Public Record publishes name changes by deed poll, if they went down that route. I have found several changes by that means. Besides not liking the name there could be a whole host of reasons. Have you searched newspapers? Home | Search the archive | British Newspaper Archive Try searching both names and any addresses you have, that might give you a clue, escaping debt, justice etc or some other reason. If it was Debt, the the London Gazette also published debtors/bankrupts etc

What did the T.C stand for? Finding quite a few George Merritt's with similar years of birth.

Regards
Mark

Hi Make

Thank you so much for your reply.
I will look into these area's that you have guided me into. The Initials T C to be honest I cant find aanything as to what they stand for. I only came across the family some 4 months ago whom had changed there name in 1850's to Church

Kind regards

Phil

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Guess?

John Church
Gender Male-
Baptism year 1748
Baptism date 20 Apr 1748
Place Bishop's Waltham
County Hampshire
Country England