• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Changing records

From
England
Hi

I recently found out that a baby that died in the family was in fact buried under the wrong first name - the registrar must have misheard the name - and I suppose the family didn't challenge it at the time.

The register office has confirmed that the baby is one and the same - same father, occupation and address.

Can the name be changed to what it should be - or does it stay wrong once the registrar has registered it????

You say that the child was 'buried under the wrong name', but say that it was an error of the Registrar. Do you mean that the death was registered in the wrong name, or that the record of the burial in the parish or Cemetary Record was incorrect, or both?
You do not say when this took place but I understand that the normal procedure now is that when someone is pronounced dead by a doctor, he issues a form giving the details of the death, Cause, Date etc., which must include name, this is taken to the Registrar by the informant, who presumably copies the details, requesting any additional details, such as date of birth from the informant. The registrar issues another form which has to be produced to the person conducting the funeral to allow a burial or cremation to take place. If that is correct then I would say that the error was made by the Doctor who certified the Death.

Hi

Thanks for your response.

The Register Office said that the Registrar must have misheard the name. The name is wrong both in the register of death and the burial. Whether it was the doctor or the registrar - can this now be changed - or is it water under the bridge?

Hi

Thanks for your response.

The Register Office said that the Registrar must have misheard the name. The name is wrong both in the register of death and the burial. Whether it was the doctor or the registrar - can this now be changed - or is it water under the bridge?

There is no time limit but to get the register amened under the authority of the Registrar General one would have to have good evidence to back up the new information. Not just hearsay.
Cheers
Guy

Hi Guy

As I said, the local Register Office has confirmed that this is one and the same child - same father, father's occupation and address.

I'll make further enquiries with the Registrar General's office.

Thanks.

That is not proof a mistake has been made, just the registrar's assumption.
The parents may have had a change of heart and called the infant something else at the last minute.
Cheers
Guy

Back