• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

changing times

I have just been reading about the history of Hull. It is interesting that I made a post about two brothers and the Barking Fishing industry. http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=18258&referrerid=13115
Barking was a major fishing port in the days of sail, but declined as steam took over, eventually to loose its industry, loosing out to ports like Hull and Grimsby.
Today I read that after becoming the third largest port and major fishing port, the fishing industry in Hull has finally gone and the market closed. What comes round, goes round... How different Hull is today from when I was a youngster, collecting train numbers in the massive marshalling yards in and around the docks, which are now a shopping centre.

dave

leefer

Loyal Member
I always enjoy delivering in Hull...the City has a kind of them and us mentality almost like the Cornish people.
The Humber is a great river with a lot of early English history based around it...it must have been a magical place to work as a young man on the docks with all those great foreign ships and fishing vessels arriving.
Like all the great ports they are having to get used to downsizing .....lets hope that like Bristol,Portsmouth etc they keep there sense of heritage...and use it for tourism and such.

marjon

thanks for jogging my memory Dave. I worked at St Andrews Dock for the White Fish Authority, for a little time, which was within walking distance for me. Then moved on to work in Whitefriargate learning my 'trade' in legal work. My best friend was connected to a well known fishing family so we used to get regular packs of fish on a Friday. Looking back it was a great time and great community.