• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Channon Family

horse

Loyal Member
[QUOTE="DaveHam9, post: 269016, member: 11720"

Census has born abt 1805 Devonport. Born abt the same time as James the vet - Ottery St Mary or Exeter depending on the census.[/QUOTE]
Is that the James in post #11?

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
James the vet in post #11 and Thomas born abt 1805 Devonport and a brother Frederick.

Death and age at death for Frederick. Not in my tree as I've not tried to trace him.

Probate
CHANNON Thomas. 31 December. The Will of Thomas Channon formerly of Liskeard in the County of Cornwall but late of Stoke near Devonport in the County of Devon deceased who died 13 November 1863 at Stoke near Devonport aforesaid - domiciled in England - was proved at Exeter by the oaths of Sarah Channon of Liskeard aforesaid Widow the Relict Frederick Channon of the City and County of the City of Exeter Gentleman the Brother and Thomas Milton of Liskeard aforesaid Gentleman the Executors. Effects under £5,000 - within the United Kingdom. Altered pursuant to Registrar's order dated 17th June 1872

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Marriages Jun Qtr 1854 Exeter 5b 175
CHANNON Frederick & THORNE Emily Anne

I can't find them in 1861.

I don't know if that one is this one or the same Frederick the brother in probate record of Thomas.

Frederick c. 17 Sep 1828 St Sidwell Exeter, Devon
James CHANNON & Anne [Giles]
Batch C050512

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
That's the problem Geoff.

Is he the one baptised 1828 or not?

If Frederick is the son of James and Ann Giles then we can't connect brothers Thomas & James to that couple.

We have three brothers and can't prove James and Ann Giles are the parents.

Dave

horse

Loyal Member
That's the problem Geoff.

Is he the one baptised 1828 or not?

If Frederick is the son of James and Ann Giles then we can't connect brothers Thomas & James to that couple.

We have three brothers and can't prove James and Ann Giles are the parents.
Anc. Has a number of baps some RG4 and none of those names fit with parents = James & Ann Giles [I'll recheck in a mo]

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Geoff.

James CHANNON & Anne [Giles or not?]
Batch C050512

Any evidence there are 2x Frederick both of Exeter?

Dave

JJH

Some clarification: Thomas (Gibraltar) had 3 sons and 2 daus. Thomas (3rd) was the first to go to Australia arriving (I think) as a 3rd Mate on the 'Chowringhee' in 1855. He went to Adelong where he had a gold-mining lease titled'Gibraltar', not a coincidence I think. He ended up in Frogmore, remained unmarried throughout life and ran a general store. He died at the home of his nephew James Channon (Pakenham Hse), in 1891. James Robert RN & wife Elizabeth Woolcock came out to Melbourne aboard the 'Black Swan' in 1830 with 6 kids, ending up in Adelong. John Francis and the two girls never left England. The wives of James (PakenhamHse), Sarah Newberry and Henry William (Frogmore), Elizabeth Jane Newberry were sisters.
I've just found another brother in the notes: 'Grandfather's brother, Col. John Channon said that our branch of the family, were wealthy woolen merchants south of France, trading with England.' On the tree, this John is listed as having married Catherine ? Stone.
I'm beginning to doubt James & Ann from Exeter.

horse

Loyal Member
CHANNON Frederick & THORNE Emily Anne

I can't find them in 1861.
RD: Exeter
Sub-RD: St David
Ref: ED: 3; Piece: 1397; Folio: 51; Page: 24; GSU roll: 542806
Frederick Channon 38 [General something accountant]
Emily Ann Channon 36
Mary Ann Rodier 38
Martha Green 30
Thurza Hagland 17

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Janet.

The wives of James (PakenhamHse), Sarah Newberry and Henry William (Frogmore), Elizabeth Jane Newberry were sisters.

Half- sisters. Frederick William Newbery married twice. Second into my Furner line.

There does not seem to be a second Frederick in Exeter.

... Frederick Channon of the City and County of the City of Exeter Gentleman the Brother ...

Last edited:

horse

Loyal Member
James CHANNON & Anne [Giles or not?]
Batch C050512

Any evidence there are 2x Frederick both of Exeter?
Just checking those baps again..

Twins??

Horatio Channon
Baptism Date:17 Sep 1828
Baptism Place: St. Sidwell, Exeter
Father:James
Mother:Anne
FHL Film Number: 916841
Reference ID: v 6 p 101

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
??

Horatio Channon
Birth Date: 3 Mar 1821
Baptism Date: 26 Mar 1821
Baptism Place: Castle Street-Independent, Exeter
Father: James Channon
Mother: Ann Giles
FHL Film Number: 590690

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Geoff.

I think not twins. I'd say several baptised the same day. A real puzzle. Some even baptised twice.

James the vet born abt 1806 Ottery St Mary or Exeter and Thomas born abt 1805 Devonport. If parents are not James and Ann Giles then we need a second Frederick and there does not seem to be more than one of Exeter.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Backwards then Geoff.

Frederick is a brother from probate. The proof that James the vet is another brother is a bit more complicated but documented.

Probate
CHANNON Thomas. 31 December. The Will of Thomas Channon formerly of Liskeard in the County of Cornwall but late of Stoke near Devonport in the County of Devon deceased who died 13 November 1863 at Stoke near Devonport aforesaid - domiciled in England - was proved at Exeter by the oaths of Sarah Channon of Liskeard aforesaid Widow the Relict Frederick Channon of the City and County of the City of Exeter Gentleman the Brother and Thomas Milton of Liskeard aforesaid Gentleman the Executors. Effects under £5,000 - within the United Kingdom. Altered pursuant to Registrar's order dated 17th June 1872.

Sarah second wife.

RG9 Piece 1529 Folio 21 Page 3
Civil Parish: Liskeard
County: Cornwall
Registration District: Liskeard
Sub-RD: Liskeard
ED: 7
No of Schedule: 15
Address: West St
CHANNON Thomas Head Mar 55 Inkeeper Devonport Devon
CHANNON Sarah Wife Mar 59 Torquay Devon
CHANNON Emmeline M Dau Unm 23 Exeter Devon
CHANNON Ellen Dau Unm 21 Falmouth Cornwall
ROWE Alfred Nephew 13 Scholar Poplar London
ABRAHAM Joseph Servant Unm 19 Inn Ostler Liskeard Cornwall
HARDING Emma Servant Unm 21 House Servant St Ives Cornwall
MOON Annie Servant Unm 18 House Servant Liskeard Cornwall

Births Sep Qtr 1837 CHANNON Emeline Mary Ann Exeter 10 84 mmn PEAKE [connection to Gibraltar]