• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Charles BURTON & Emily MULLARD

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Given what you know about Lilian and of another son born abt 1885 I still think the shipping record is correct and we are missing two births in England.

Those of older age often take a few years off so they can enlist.

I can only find one Burton - Mullard marriage in England before 1884 so I believe this one

Births Dec 1881 BURTON Robert Samuel - King's N. 6c 438 mmn MULLARD

That could make some sense I guess although in the 1881 census Emily was only 11 months old. I haven't found an Australian birth record for Robert Samuel.
I will keep following the trail.
In 1930, there was only mention of the 3 boys I know of, as follows
BURTON, Frederick William 1887 - 1930

FUNERALS

BURTON.-The Relatives and Friends of Mr. and Mrs. HARRY BURTON and Mr and Mrs. ROBERT BURTON are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of their late beloved BROTHER Frederick William Burton, late of 54th Battalion A I F to leave Wood Coffills Mortuary Chapel 810 George-street city THIS MONDAY at 1 pm for Church of England Cemetery Rookwood via Mortuary Station.
WOOD COFFILL LIMITED

The Sydney Morning Herald - Monday 25 August 1930 p.7

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
No further details from the index so can't tell what parents are listed on the record.

If I could find another Burton - Mullard marriage then I'd rule out some births in England.

I have no reason the disbelieve the details on the shipping record as they were cabin passengers.

I prefer to see the sources. I've learnt not to believe all the family lore passed down.

I'll search for another son.

Dave

Thanks again,
I don't expect you to spend more time on this. You have been helpfuI already. I can pass what I have on to Helen and she can pay for birth/death certificates if she'd like to do so.
With regards the record for Robert Samuel that you have, is that from Ancestry by any chance or from a UK website?

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
This one?

Births Dec 1881 BURTON Robert Samuel - King's N. 6c 438 mmn MULLARD

From GRO. Free to register and to search.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Robert is a puzzle because there is no birth in SA but he gave his place of birth as SA and age at enlistment and age at death don't point to 1881.

I've looked in Trove again for any other birth or death notices and found none that help.

C F in 1905

... He leaves one daughter and three sons (the youngest of whom is 15 years of age) ...

That age 15 does not fit. ?