• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Charles & Catherine HALKETT-HAY Perth

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
Hello,

I'd like a look up please for the following HALKETT-HAY family in Perthshire in 1861. Thanks.

Charles b. ?
Catherine Hawkins (nee LEWIS) b. ?

Gilbert L
Kate Agnes

Sorry, I don't have much to go on yet. I've looked for births, marriages and deaths in Qld. and can't find the names of any more of the children. Gilbert Lewis is the 5th son.

Regards,

Dave

Hello,

This birth in Qld. makes a real mess of my original post. :D

1875/B19917 Halkett Gilbert Lewis - Charles Hay Caroline Hawkins Lewis

I think the 'Caroline' bit is wrong. Now I wonder how many of the 6 or more children were actually born in Qld.

Regards,

Dave

Hello,

It looks as though the first birth in Qld. was in 1870 and that two sons and at least one daughter may have been born in Scotland: :confused:

Now, I'm not sure if it is Catherine or Caroline Hawkins LEWIS.
I can't find a marriage yet.

Regards,

Dave

Hello,

I have just noticed the middle name of one of Gilbert & Edith's daughters - Caroline so that probably means it is Caroline Hawkins LEWIS. So that makes it four things pointing to Caroline and one pointing to Catherine as her name. It still has not made it any easier finding the marriage.

Regards,

Dave

Hello,

I've looked in ScotlandsPeople and can't find the marriage. I tried HAY/HALKET/HALKETT-HAY and various combinations of given names and names for spouse. I found one but not in Perthshire for spouse Caroline but neither Charles or Chas was a hit.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

Did Charles H. Halkett Hay go back to Scotland. Have just found an article relating to a dispute re rents in Perthshire with John G. Hay Halkett in 1887.
I will type up the newspaper article. (This John resides at Balendoch House).

cheers
crankypants

Hello crankypants,

All I have found so far are the births in Qld. of three sons:
John 1870
David 1873
Gilbert 1875

I can't find a death for Charles or Caroline/Catherine in Qld. so yes, possibly they both returned to Scotland.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

COURT OF SESSION
Glasgow Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), Friday, January 28, 1887; Issue 24

CHARLES H. HALKETT HAY v. JOHN G. HAY HALKETT
The right to certain rents of a farm in Perthshire was the question at dispute in this action. It was brought by Charles H. Halkett Hay, lately of Balendoch, 1 Eilden Street, Edinburgh, against John G. Hay Halkett, proprietor of the estate of Balendoch, residing at Balendoch House, near Meigle, and concluded for payment of the sum of p235 17s 3d. By a disposition dated 25th September, 1886, the defender acquired from the pursuer the estate of Balendoch, with entry at the term of Whitsunday of that year. By the disposition the defender obtained right only to the rents of the lands from the term of Whitsunday, 1886. Notwithstanding this, the defender at Martinmas uplifted the rent from the tenant of the farm of Haughend which was due for the half-year ending at Whitsunday, 1886, and he is now sued for this sum. The defender maintained that in the disposition it was provided that entry to the farm should be at Whitsunday, that he should be entitled to the rents payable at Martinmas, and that it was never explained to the defender that the rent for Haughend was back-handed rent.
Lord Fraser to-day gave decree for the sum sued for, holding that the clause in the disposition meant that it carried the rents for the possession subsequent to the date of entry.
Counsel for Pursuer – Mr. Hay, - Agent D. Maelachlan, S.S.C.
Counsel for Defender – Mr. A. Graham Murray.
Agents – Macpherson & Mackay, W.S.

cheers
crankypants

Hello crankypants,

Thank you very much.

I have searched the shipping records and have found lots of HAYs who arrived in Qld. on 14 Oct 1866 on the 'Queen of the Colonies' - names included:

Charles, Catherine, Elizabeth (2), James (3), Ellen, Adam, George, Isabella, Jessie & William.

It looks like more than one family and no Kate or Agnes.

Age at burial says Kate Agnes was born about 1868 so that should mean a birth reg in Qld.

Gilbert was the 5th son so two out of Adam, James, George & Wiliam born in Scotland.

It looks as though the original Catherine might be correct after all.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave

COURT OF SESSION
Glasgow Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), Thursday, July 9, 1885; Issue 163

PETITION AND ANSWERS – CHARLES HAY HALKETT HAY - FOR REMOVAL OF TRUSTEES
This was a petition by Charles Hay Halkett Hay, of Easter Baldendoch, Perth, and Cardean, Forfarshire, for himself, and to administration in law for his three pupil children, for the removal of the trustees acting under the trust disposition granted by the late Miss Hay, Balendoch.
Mr. Campbell to-day stated that the petitioner had now been assumed as trustee along with Mr. F. Cresswell Lewis, while his mother and brother had resigned office. In these circumstances it appeared undesirable that the judicial management should continue, and they asked that the sequestration should be recalled.
The Court granted an order to that effect.
Counsel for Petitioner – Mr. W. Campbell.
Agents – Skene, Edwards & Bilton, W.S.
Counsel for the Trustees – Mr. Dickson & Mr. Low. Agents – McNeill & Sime, W.S., and Russell & Dunlop, C.S.

cheers
crankypants

Hello crankypants,

Thank you very much.

I can't find a birth reg in Qld. for Kate.

Regards,

Dave

Hello crankypants,

Yes, possibly. The Qld. BMD site won't load today. Then there should be a death in Australia for catherine/Caroline.

I will look on SP to see if I can find anything.

Regards,

Dave

Hello crankypants,

I found this one:

Charles Hay Halkett died 1883 Alyth, Perth

No sign of his marriage.

Dave

Hello crankypants,

Have you been able to find Charles in the 1861 census in Perthshire? I hope that sorts out the name of his spouse and possibly the names of some more children.

Regards,

Dave

Hello crankypants,

Yes Charles Hay HALKETT remarried on 28 Mar 1879 and Mary Harriett - marriage 2 John COOPER 30 Jan 1900 in Qld. according to a RootsWeb entry.

It has nothing to add for Charles. :(

Dave

Hi Dave

Now that I've found these two articles it makes more sense he could be a son of Charles Hay Halkett (senior) & Caroline/Catherine Lewis.

N.S.W Police Gazette 1887
Missing Friends
Charles Hay or Halkett, 32 years of age, 5 feet 7 inches high, thin build, blue eyes, dark hair, clean shaved; a saddler; formerly resided in Brisbane. Is said to have arrived in Sydney from Scotland, in December last, per ss. “Arabic”. Information to Inspector General of Police.

N.S.W Police Gazette 1887
Deserting Wives & Families
Sydney – A warrant has been issued by the Central Police Bench for the arrest of Charles Halkett or Hay, charged with unlawfully deserting his wife, Mary Harriet Halkett. Offender is about 33 years of age, 5 feet 7 or 8 inches high, medium build, dark hair and complexion, blue eyes, round shoulders; a saddler. This offender is said to have been a passenger by the s.s. “Arabic”, from London to Sydney, which arrived on the 26th December last. Complainant, Mary Harriet Halkett, No. 11, Lewis-street, Redfern.

cheers
crankypants

Hi Dave

Have you seen this, part of article.

Classified Advertising
The Brisbane Courier... Monday 23 March 1891, page 8. Advertising 6601 words
... Hay Halkett (otherwise Charles Hay Halkett Hay) aforesaid Dato of Death.-9th May, 1883. Name of Claimant.-Caroline Hawkins YeateB, at present of Brisbane, widow, formerly Caroline Hawkins Halkett Hay, ... Halkett (otherwise ' CharlaB Hay Halkett

cheers
crankypants

Hello crankypants,

Thank you. Interersting. I can't see his name on the passenger list. The one with Charles ? on the scan looks like 'Tate' not Hay or Halkett. I noticed a Robert HAY aged 26.

Born about 1854 so that means I'll have to look for a marriage in the pre-1855 part of SP.

Regards,

Dave

Hello crankypants,

Thank you. I searched the shipping lists and found ref to a Colonel C HALKETT:

WOTONGA
FROM THE PORT OF BRISBANE TO SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES, 28TH JANUARY 1881

CARTHAGE
FROM THE PORT OF LONDON TO SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES, 14TH DECEMBER 1881

Regards,

Dave

Back