• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Charles Cook BLUETT

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, I'm working my way in sequence. :)

Birth 33649/1891 BLUETT CHARLES C - JOHN - PHILLIPA - TAMWORTH

1913 NSW Electoral Roll - BURWOOD - STRATHFIELD POLLING-PLACE
110 BLUETT Charles Cook, Clarendon-road, bank clerk

Death 9971/1919 BLUETT CHARLES C - JOHN - PHILIPPA - TAMWORTH

Daily Observer (Tamworth, NSW : 1917 - 1920) - Saturday 12 April 1919 p.2

Daily Observer (Tamworth, NSW : 1917 - 1920) - Monday 21 April 1919 p.2

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
One tree had his death as 30 April so I started searching to validate it.

Now for parents marriage.

gibbo

Loyal Member
SMH Saturday 27 July 1940

BLUETT.- July 19, at Base Hospital, Tamworth, Phillipa Bluett, relict of late John Bluett, loving mother of William (deceased), Florence, Bessie, Henry, Fred (deceased), Fredrick (deceased), Alfred, John (deceased), Frank, Cecil, Charles (deceased) and Eric, aged 91 years.

gibbo

Loyal Member
This is interesting.

Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW : 1881 - 1940)
Tuesday 1 May 1917

OBITUARY. A GOOD RECORD. The Tamworth "Observer" records the death at Tamworth on Friday, 20th April, of Mr. John Bluett, sen., one of the State's oldest and best know agricultural engineers. The deceased had been a resident of Tamworth district for over 30 years. The cause of death was pneumonia supervening on a cold. The "Observer" says:--The deceased was born in Cornwall in 1849, and broughit up to his business in his native place. He improved his know- ledge of engineering at Messrs. Harvey & Com- any's, one of the largest engineering foundries in the world. Afterwards he went to the Uni- ted States and Canada, and for about 18 months gained further experience in the great engineering works there. He returned to Eng- land in 1874 and later came to Australia under engagement to Messrs. R. Hornsby & Sons to exhibit their machinery at various New South Wales shows. Before coming to the Commonwealth, the late Mr. Bluett, at the age of 19, built and rode the first two level-wheeled bicycles in the United Kingdom. Shortly after his arrival in New South Wales the deceased started the first reaper and binder. Subsequently he went into business on his own account. He made the fisrt threshing machine in Australia. In 1886 the deceased came to Tamworth where he started business as an agricultural engineer. The factory covered an acre of ground and at one time employed a large number of men. The late Mr. Bluett was of a very retiring disposition, and did noct take a prominent part in the public affairs of the town, although he was always ready to helpl along any movement for the advancement of the district. The deceased is survived by the widow, eight sons and two daughters. The sons are William, Harry, Alfredsl, John, Frank, Ceci (who is a doctor attached to the British R.A.M.C.O.), Charles and Gunner Eric, of the A.I.F. The daughters are Mrs. G. Reay (Lismore) and Mrs. H. W. Anderson (Sydney). The funeral on Saturday was attended by a large and respective gathering. Six sons of the deceased acted as pall-bearers. Mr. F Bluett, of the District Superinten- dent's offices, Goulburn, is a son of the deceased. It may be of interest to residents of the G0ul- burn district to know that the first reaper and binder was started at Bungonia on Mr. Broab- head's farm.

6093/1917 BLUETT JOHN WILLIAM MARY A TAMWORTH

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Oh. Is that twice now?

The Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 27 June 1917 p.10
MARRIAGES
BLUETT - WHITEMAN.-May 26, 1917, by the Rev. W. Wall, at the residence of the bride's mother, Charles C., son of the late John Bluett and Mrs. Bluett, Bodmincot, Marius Street, Tamworth, to Elsie C., Daughter of the late Charles T. Whiteman and Mrs. Whiteman, Craig-y-nos, Cheltenham Road, Burwood (formerly of Camden). At home, Penryn, Elizabeth-street, Ashfield, July 4.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
COOK probably because of middle name:

Marriages Sep Qtr 1872 - Bodmin 5c 134
Bluett John & **** Phillipa

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I thought the obituary on #4 was for Phillipa's husband :confused:

Same kids noted as Phillipa's death notice :confused: Or am i confused as usual:D
No, you are correct. I didn't wake up until I noticed the 1917 marriage had 'late John ...' in it.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looks like they arrived with daughter Florence.

Births Dec Qtr 1874
Bluett Florence Launceston 5c 15

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks gibbo.

Looks like F. W. A. Bluett.

Death 11826/1889 BLUETT FRANCIS W A - FRANK - MARIA - WAGGA WAGGA

I can't see John's birth in England 1847-1850.

He would not have been assisted by the colony. The company would have paid for him to come and exhibit machinery I think.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Ok his obituary says

Messrs. R. Hornsby & Sons

when i put that into Trove for NSW only the first hit i get is 1875 but the articles arent digitised as yet :rolleyes: Well besides one that is dated in the 1850's.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yeah. We are stuck with the hope of finding a passenger list.

Births Jun Qtr 1848
Blewett John Redruth 9 244

Births Jun Qtr 1849
Blewett John Launceston 9 147

Births Dec Qtr 1849
BLEWETT John Redruth 9 235

gibbo

Loyal Member
NSW death

6093/1917 BLUETT JOHN WILLIAM MARY A TAMWORTH

Name: John Blewett
Christening Date: 13 May 1849
Christening Place: ALTARNUN,CORNWALL,ENGLAND
Father's Name: William Blewett
Mother's Name: Mary Ann

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks gibbo. :)

Lots of trees.

Born: 25 Apr 1849, 10 Lower Gunnon Lane, Altarnun, Cornwall, England
Died: Died: 20 Apr 1917, Marcus Street, Tamworth, NSW at age 67.
Buried: 21 Apr 1917, Methodist Cemetery, Tamworth, NSW.
The Record Shows Mr And Mrs Bluett, Master Bluett And Miss Bluett. They Would Be Travelling With Their Son And Daughter. The Ship Is The "St Osyth'.