• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Charles Henry Jackson

Nightryder

I don’t know where or when Charles was born,the first record I have is his marriage cert.
Sept 20th 1847 St Pancras Church Middlesex
Charles Henry Jackson,full age,Bachelor,Upholsterer,Father William Jackson,Baker.
Sarah Quilter,full age,Spinster,father Henry Quilter,deceased.
The next record is his daughters birth cert.
17th Oct 1847 St Margarets Leicester
Sarah Jane ( always known as Jane),father Charles Henry JacksonUpholsterer.
Mother Sarah Jackson formerly Quilter.
The next record is a baptism
18th May 1851 Annie,Parents Charles Henry & Sarah Jackson,Upholsterer.
The next record is Jane’s Marriage cert.
25th June 1869 in Crickhowell
Jane Jackson,21,spinster,father Charles Henry Jackson,Upholsterer, He is not recorded as deceased
William Lee,24,Bachelor,father William Lee, Bookbinder.
I have never found a Charles Henry with father William as a Baker
I cant find Charles,Sarah & Jane anywhere on the 1851 census
I cant find Charles,Sarah & Annie anywhere in 1861, but
Jane is a boarder,Pupil/teacher at The national infants school in Hornsey.
In 1871 & 1881 Annie is with Jane & Family in Portsea, & from this point I can follow both girls through the rest of their lives,but I still cant find Charles & Sarah anywhere,I realise with the name being so common & the chance that by 1871 they could have had a lot more children, I still cant find any Charles Henry Jackson as an Upholsterer which is the only thing I realy have to distinguish him from any other Charles Henry Jackson, I don’t know where he came from or where he went to, can anyone help.

lizanne

Hi Nightryder,
There is a possible for Charles Henry on the 1841.
Living at Coleville Court , St Pancras , Middx . Given age 21 place of birth Middlesex. Occupation given as upholder , looks like he's a lodger , not with parents.

Sarah Jane was baptised in Leicester but where was Annie born ?

Last edited:

Nightryder

Lizanne, That does look good & its the first ive ever seen of any Charles Jackson as an Upholder,
It looked like a lot of people were living in Colville Court & there were no individual house numbers, its not marked as a workhouse but must have been a fairly big place to house 41 people, il google it to see what I can find.
Annie was Baptised in St Marks Old Street,I think thats Shoreditch, Il google that as well, Thank you so much for finding this.

lizanne

Hi Nightryder ,
I've been through all the census and am unable to find anything for Charles & Sarah.
I have found a couple of entries For a Charles Jackson , furniture dealer living with his brother George Fulham Road Kensington but he is unmarried.

Is it possible that both Charles and Sarah had died and the children were living with relatives or that Charles died and Sarah remarried ?

There are a few private trees on Ancestry with this couple in them . It might be worth contacting the tree owners to see if they have any further information on them. The only public tree's I have found just have Jane & Annie (Daisy) from the 1871 onwards.

Nightryder

Hi Lizanne,
I wondered if Maybe Charles & Sarah had died but Charles at least was alive in 1869, Both Jane & Annie use The Quilter name in later life & maybe that was after Sarah had died.
It looks like Colville Court is still there but now called Colville Place,but I havent as yet found out what was there to explain why there are no house numbers.
Ive looked at Charles's father as a baker & there was a William Jackson college Baker in the west cloister of Westminster Abbey he died in 1714 so too early to be my William but a possible connection, his nephew Robert was also college baker between 1723-1726.
The trees on Ancestry,unfortunatly the tree owners dont have any more info than I do.