• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

CHARLES MOSS c 1809--birth look up please

I have been trying to find the birth of my 3 x great grandfather Charles Moss for some time

According to census records, he was born:
1841 census-in Lancashire c 1811
1851 census in ORMSKIRK Lancashire c 1807
1861 census in UPHOLLAND Lancashire c 1807
1871 census in ORMSKIRK Lancashire c 1807
1881 census in LIVERPOOL Lancashire c 1806

Despite these differences everything else adds up to him being the same person--occupation--children etc
In 1832 he married Ann Dobson (born Whitehaven Cunberland) in Liverpool--there was no father's name needed at that time but a witness was a James Moss who could have been his father or a sibling

I have been unable to find a birth/baptismal record for Charles at Preston records office--he may have been there but I found the system difficult. If anybody has access to these records and is familiar with how they are recorded, I'd be grateful if you could do a look up for me please.

Thank you.

welcome I TOO HAVE HARRIS ON MY FATHERS SIDE.
do you know if any came to australia ..cheers Lynne:)
Just been & had a look-not much to go on I'm afraid--got what I do have from a distant relation of my late husband-may be able to find out more if you think there could be a connection, but got the impression that it was all she knew.

Jack Harris born 1915 in Kirkdale Liverpool fought in WW2 then after the war emigrated to Australia--unknown place with his wife--unknown name! and daughter Joyce. Jack & his wife died over 20 years ago--not sure when but Joyce was still living a couple of years ago but no idea if married or if she had siblings born in Australia!!!

One thing that may help you to connect--or not--I do know that one branch of the Harris family went to Liverpool and married a lady named Turner and they stayed there--my mother in law was a daughter of the Harris/Turner marriage--can fill you in on Jack Harris's parents & the London connection if this is the same family by any remote chance!

Eileen

patrickw

Hello,
noticed your interest in Walmsleys in Lancashire. My grandmother was a Walmsley born in Blackburn and living both there and in Padiham before living in Burnley. Her name was Bertha and she was the 4th of 5 children of a grocer called ann walmsley. I have some details on this family if they are a match to yours and am happy to pass any relevant information on.
Best wishes with your research
Pat

Thank you for this Pat.So far--back to c 1790--I have only found my Walmsleys in Liverpool. i had always thought of Walmsley as a Blackburn area name so was surprised it cropped up where it did

If when I start again on tracing them to an earlier date I find a Blackburn or area connection I'll get back to you,
Eileen

Hello,
noticed your interest in Walmsleys in Lancashire. My grandmother was a Walmsley born in Blackburn and living both there and in Padiham before living in Burnley. Her name was Bertha and she was the 4th of 5 children of a grocer called ann walmsley. I have some details on this family if they are a match to yours and am happy to pass any relevant information on.
Best wishes with your research
Pat