• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Charles Staveley WW1

MrsMac

Looking for information on Charles Staveley born 1897 Yorkshire,served with 2

nd Northumbrian Brigade RFA and Territorial North Riding Battery RFA. Regimental # 2917 771626.

I have a copy of his attestation papers and medal cards from Ancestry.

My question is could he have been with the Yorkshire Regiment possible Green Howards.

His records indicate he was with the Territorial Force and I am not very familiar with the British Military so any help with his military records would be greatly appreciated.

On his jacket he looks to have curved brass shoulder titles. His record indicate he was a driver could this also be known as a batsman. Or did it mean he worked with horses...please clarify.

A batman's duties often include:
acting as a "runner" to convey orders from the officer to subordinates
maintaining the officer's uniform and personal equipment as a valet
driving the officer's vehicle, sometimes under combat conditions
acting as the officer's bodyguard in combat
other miscellaneous tasks the officer does not have time or inclination to do
The action of serving as a batman was referred to as "batting". In armies where officers typically came from the upper class, it was not unusual for a former batman to follow the officer into later civilian life as a domestic servant.

I can't see any ref to him being attached to the Green Howards. Before the war he was in the North Riding RGA, then in the war the Northumberland RFA, serving mainly in France

dave

Last edited:

MrsMac

Thank you for your reply.

As I indicated in my post his records indicate he was a driver.
I checked with our local Military Museum and they indicated a driver did not mean what we today know it as rather meant that he worked with horses...

I do not know if he acheived any rank other than a Private. Don't know how one finds out. My knowledge on British military matters not so good. I know
a bit more about Canadians.

the defnition of a Batman I posted came off Wikepedia. It also says - A batman (or batwoman) is a soldier or airman assigned to a commissioned officer as a personal servant. Before the advent of motorized transport, an officer's batman was also in charge of the officer's bathorse that carried the packsaddle with the officer's kit during a campaign

It would say on his record if he had been promoted.

dave

Last edited:

MrsMac

Thanks again for your help Dave.

May I ask you another question. His uniform shoulder titles look to be curved brass, but cannot read what it says on them.Would these be consisent with
either the REA or the RFA. What about buttons was there a difference on uniforms.