• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Charlotte HARKINS

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
No. 517
I, Thomas Ayling, Bachelor do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Presbyterian Church of Scotland [signed] Thomas Ayling
I, Charlotte Harkins, Spinster do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the - Church [signed] -
I, James Fullerton L.L.D., of Sydney, Minister of Scots Church Pitt St. South, do hereby certify that Thomas Ayling, Bachelor of Sydney and Charlotte Harkins, Spinster of Sydney were joined together in Wedlock by me on the Second day of April 1849, at Sydney, in the presence of Robert McGowan and Amelia McGowan of Redfern, Sydney.
Witnesses signed. [signed] James Fullerton L L D Minister

Death 1180/1895 AYLING CHARLOTTE - JAMES - UNKNOWN - CROOKWELL * 25 Feb 1895

AYLING Charlotte Death notice 25FEB1895 Death 66 late of Wandsworth, Goulburn SMH 27FEB1895

Deaths
8530/1893 HARKINS JAMES UNKNOWN UNKNOWN LIVERPOOL
13529/1896 HARKINS JAMES UNKNOWN UNKNOWN GOULBURN

Wandsworth is probably not a clue - it refers to the AYLING family.

Looking for any info on Charlotte - birth/baptism, parents, arrival, etc...

Thanks,

Dave

rupert

Loyal Member
Difficult one Dave

You can search snippet papers
https://www.elephind.com/

News in Brief. [Newspaper Article] — Windsor and Richmond Gazette — 2 March 1895
Obituary. [Newspaper Article] — Goulburn Evening Penny Post — 26 February 1895
Family Notices [Newspaper Article] — Goulburn Evening Penny Post — 26 February 1895

Trove back tomorrow, Obituary could have further info.

Rupert

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Rupert.

Yes, one of my many difficult ones.

Windsor and Richmond Gazette (NSW : 1888 - 1921) - Saturday 2 March 1895 p.3
News in Brief.
Mrs. Ayling, wife of Mr. Thomas Ayling, (brother to Rev. J. Ayling, of Pitt Town), died at Goulburn on Monday, at the age of 66.

Might be back tomorrow. :) It's a major upgrade. Bet they didn't include some things I asked for. :biggrin:

Dave

Bootzy

Loyal Member
OBITUARY. – Goulburn Herald Mon 25 Feb 1895
IT is with extreme regret that we record the death at eleven o'clock to-day of Mrs.Thomas Ayling of Wandsworth near Norwood. The deceased lady had been a resident of this district for upwards of forty years, and though leading a very retired life, in great part owing to long-continued ill-health, she was greatly respected and esteemed by those who knew her. She leaves a husband and several children, all grown up, one of whom Alderman Ayling, representing north ward of this city. Deceased lady was sixty-six years of age.

regards Val

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Val.

I don't like some new things in TROVE.

Moving to the next page is easy but harder to move to the last page of the issue you are viewing.

Dave

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Goulburn Evening Penny Post – Thursday Nov 1906
DEATH OF MR. THOMAS AYLING.
An old and esteemed resident of the city, Mr. Thomas Ayling, died at his residence, Clifford street, yesterday morning at a quarter to one o'clock in his 79th year. Mr. Ayling was born at Wandsworth, Surrey, England; and came to this State about 58 years ago.

On arrival he went to Twofold Bay as manager for a firm of merchants. After spending a few years there he came to Goulburn 55 years ago to fill the position of manager at Bradley's mill, where Barlett and Co.'s brewery now is. Mr. Ayling occupied that post for nine years, and then took a similar position at Conolly's mill, filling it for eleven years. He then leased a mill at Yass for three years, and at the completion of that term returned to Goulburn, where he had lived retired ever since.

The late Mrs. Ayling died eleven years ago. Three daughters and two sons survive, the daughters being Mrs. Cruickshank, Liverpool Plains; Miss Ayling, who has been housekeeping for her father and nursed him devotedly; and Mrs. Kendall, sewing mistress at the Goulburn District School; and the sons Alderman E. H. Ayling, of Goulburn, and Mr. G. Ayling. A younger son died some years ago, and two children died in their youth.

The deceased was a great reader, his taste running to the more solid subjects. He was well versed in English history, especially the political side of it, and was, needless to say, stoutly liberal and a firm adherent to free trade principles. On current affairs he was wont to bring a natural shrewdness, strengthened by a long and varied experience, to their analysis. He was of a quiet retiring disposition, and had that priceless gift, a contented mind.

another paper Nov 14 1906 has:
Thomas Ayling born 17 Dec 1827 Wandsworth arrived Australia about 1849 according to a paper - Some of his relatives are in Tasmania. His brother was the late Rev. John Ayling, Presbyterian clergyman, and he has a nephew, draftsman in the Goulburn Land Oflice. Alderman Ayling is a son of the deceased, and he leaves three daughters, two of whom are married. The funeral will take place at 3 p.m.tomorrow

** wonder if Charlotte Harkins was on same ship? - they married 2nd April 1849...

Last edited:

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Wellington Times Mon 30 Aug 1943 – Death of Mr Edwin Harkins Ayling..also mention family.

Death of James Harkins in 1896 at Goulburn is this one.. Evening News Sydney – Tue 20 1896
Death of a Prisoner.
INQUEST IN GOULBURN GAOL.
GOULBURN, Tuesday.— An inquest was held at Goulburn-Gaol yesterday by Coroner O'Brien on the body of Andrew Williams, -alias James Robinson, alias James Harkins (his real name was James Harkins), aged 32, a- native of New Zealand, who was received- into gaol ,on October 10, 1894, under sentence -from -Young circuit court of seven years, for Breaking and entering. He had been in the gaol hospital for about six months suffering from consumption, and died at 7.30 a.m. on Sunday morning. Dr. M'Killop, Government medical of.. etc etc.

Wonder if the 1893 death is this one.. Goulburn Herald Mon 20 March 1893
PROTECTION. --- James Harkins, seventy three years of age, was brought up for protection. Harkins had given himself up to the police, and told them that he had been in Liverpool Asylum, but left it some six weeks ago with the view of obtaining light work; but he had now a bad cough and was suffering from rheumatism, and could not work. Remanded for a week, pending the receipt of an order for his re-admission into an asylum.

regards Val

Ellie7

Loyal Member

Name Charlotte Hawkins
Ship Name Neptune
Volume 22

Edit-Name James Harkins
Ship Name Parland
Volume 10
3Oct 1838

Name Harriet Hawkins
Ship Name Neptune
Volume 22
27 Sept 1839 age 22

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Val.

Thanks Ellie.

That's some info I didn't have I can follow up on and enter into my tree.

2x James so one might be a brother. Won't be easy to prove.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
No luck.

Father James Haslewood
Mother Sarah Milhouse
Name Thomas Hawkins
Birth Year (Estimated) 1791
Age 48
Native Residence Place Burwash, Sussex, England
Father's Name Thomas Hawkins