• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Chelsea pensioners

Hello!
New to Forums, so hope I get it right! My search started by finding my Grandfather had been born in Adelaide in 1862. I knew nothing of my paternal side, but a wonderful journey was ahead of me. I was very unsure how to go about searching, but a letter in Family Tree Magazine introduced me to so many helpful people in Australia who were intrigued by my story and were wiling to help me. Children appeared born in Melbourne, Adelaide, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland and the last child born at sea on HMS Serapis on the way to India! Finding one child born in barracks really opened up a wonderful family, of which I have become very proud. This showed my Gt. Grandfather was in fact a Sergeant in the 40th Regiment of Foot. I eventually sent for his records from TNA. However, not being able to trvel to London I had to pay for a Researcher! These showed that my Gt. Grandfather had enlisted in Waterford, Ireland in 1854, and travelled to Melbourne immediately. He served for over 21 years, travelling around with his family in tow, under what must have been horrendous conditions. Gt. Grandfather embarked from Dum Dum in India in 1876, and arrived at Netley in February 1877. However on the 1881 census I have traced my Gt. Grandmother living in Manchester with three of her children (not including my Grandfather) but she is a widow. I have searched for the death of my Gt. Grandfather but I have found no trace. I have checked if he died at sea on his return but again no trace. I have also searched BMD's but still no trace. Can anybody help me find out if Gt. Grandfather John Waters, number 3315 ,40th Regiment of Foot, was a Chelsea Pensioner, either in or out. Date he received a pensions, date it ended and if his wife received a pension follow his death.It doesn't say in his records, but I have ben told that he must have received a pension or his records would have been destroyed. I just get very confused when I get to TNA! Any help to get me out of the treacle would be great for this silver serfer. I hope I haven't gone on too much for my first time!

Many thanks.

attempted to put a smiley icon on but didn't achieve it! Sorry!