• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Christening/baptism records London

Rune Mussett-Sharp

I have a chance to go to London in person. Where is the best place to go to look for baptism/christening records. Going through old maps I think I figured out which could be the church my mother used to talk about. I even contacted the present rector and confirmed what I feared. It was bombed to the ground, no records could be recovered. Would there be copies sent anywhere that might have been safe? Same for marriage records?
Thanks,
Rune

pramclub

Website
easterfamilygenealogy.wordpress.com
Society of Genealogists has a library in London - http://www.sog.org.uk/index.shtml

London Metropolitan Archives - http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/

Bishop's transcripts were copies of the parish registers sent by the incumbent to the Bishop - these don't always have the full info, and can have errors, and aren't always still available. http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?county=122&form_action=county&classification=32768

Some London records are available online through Ancestry.com - you could search the London records and see if it's worth taking out membership.

Rune Mussett-Sharp

Okay here goes. The one I am looking for the most is my mother, Ellen Edith Kimber, born 1915 Sept 9. She was Anglican and from what she described was high church. If I can get that far maybe I can feel ready to jump into grandparents on that side.
Thank you for the offer of help. You really are the best on this site.
Rune

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have found her I think on a boat to New York. She was living in Chelsea then and is part of a pro skating team. Is that your Mother?

Rune Mussett-Sharp

I have found her I think on a boat to New York. She was living in Chelsea then and is part of a pro skating team. Is that your Mother?
That's my mom. Only it was not a skating team but an ice show, like Ice Follies only in those days it was much smaller and they skated not in rinks but on stages that had been covered in ice. You really had to learn your trade to manage not to fall off and get hurt.
Cheers Rune

woodlander

Valued Member
That's my mom. Only it was not a skating team but an ice show, like Ice Follies only in those days it was much smaller and they skated not in rinks but on stages that had been covered in ice. You really had to learn your trade to manage not to fall off and get hurt.
Cheers Rune
All going well Rune - well done Steve and DW - on the trail for sure now :)

Rune Mussett-Sharp

Sounds fascinating. Have you got a programme or anything?
Unfortunately all I have are few photos with no dates or names or anything attached and a couple of crumbling news clippings as well a couple of reference letters for jobs as well as US work visas. We had a huge hurricane when I was a baby which flooded our basement and Mom said that there was no safe way to save all the trucks of her stuff that went floating and sinking away. To give you an idea of why Mom said that, she and a friend who was staying with her made sure I was safe and then got a bottle of champagne leftover from whatever out of the now nonfunctioning frig and toasted the cabin cruisers floating by the house. (Which luckily was elevated.):D
Rune