• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Christening/Baptismal Record for John Allcock

Hi everyone,

Further to my earlier question about John Allcock's father not being named on his birth certificate, where is the best place (preferably online?) to find christening/baptismal records?

According to his birth certificate, he was born on 4th November 1869 at 37 Brierley Lane, Bradley, Sedgley in Staffordshire. Mother: Sarah Allcock formerly Ball. By the 1871 census he is living (aged 1) with his mother and maternal grandparents at 3 Private House, Hatherton Colliery, Bloxwich, Walsall, Staffordshire.

I have made some progress with this research, having found Sarah's husband, William Allcock, living, in 1871, with his mother and his two eldest children in Denstone, Rocester, near Uttoxeter.

William Allcock was a police constable from 1858 to 1865 when he resigned. According to his police record he was earning 20 shillings a week in 1865; by 1867 when his daughter Alice is born, he is working as an agricultural labourer when the average weekly wage was only 11s 3d - a huge drop in pay! Family anecdotes always suggested that William deserted his wife and children and my sympathies were always with Sarah. But how can this be if he has taken his two eldest children with him and does not acknowledge paternity of the youngest? It now seems likely that it was Sarah, from who I am directly descended, who was the one 'playing away'.

Sorry to bore you all with the detail but I'd love to find out if John's father is named on the christening/baptismal record. Even if William is no relation, which seems likely, I do find myself feeling very sorry for him.

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Best wishes to you all,
Michael (Biggles99)

Thanks Steve,

I'll follow the link right now but I guess Good Friday is not the best day to email them - I'll leave that until next week.

Michael (Biggles99)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Steve,

I'll follow the link right now but I guess Good Friday is not the best day to email them - I'll leave that until next week.

Michael (Biggles99)
Hold your horses Michael, not sure if I've found the right church.

I just checked out Brierly Lane, Sedgley. It appears I am off target.

Brierley Lane, Sedgeley seems to be 3+ miles west of Walsall, and there is a Bradley in between Sedgley and Walsall.

So the BRADLEY I found is 3 miles SW of Stafford.

Steve.:)

Last edited: