• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Circus resources

If Agnes is James's sister, she may have a different parent than James and Joseph. We have found her in 1881/91/1901/11
If Henry on the 1901 and 1911 census is our Henry, and Joseph is the one in Pontypridd in 1901 who married in 1906 we have both of them in 1901/11. Is this them in 1891, Henry is often called Harry.. Joseph William was a painter in 1911 as is William (head) below

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

WILLIAM COLLINGBORN HEAD MARRIED Male 42 1849 PAINTER -Birmingham
JANE COLLINGBORN WIFE MARRIED Female 45 1846 - - Cockermouth
FRANCIS FLACK STEPDAUGHTER SINGLE Female 20 1871 - LONDON
BLANCH COLLINGBORN DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 12 1879 - LONDON
ROSE COLLINGBORN DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 10 1881 - Cheltenham
WILLIE COLLINGBORN SON SINGLE Male 7 1884 - Cheltenham
HARRY COLLINGBORN SON SINGLE Male 4 1887 - Cheltenham

Last edited:

horse

Loyal Member
Collingborn certainly has its share of variants...

This suggests William and Jane married, though I haven't found it yet..
Births Q1 1881
COLLINBOURNE Rose Eleanor
Cheltenham
6a 454

This looks like Blanch's marriage..

Florence Blanche Ellen Collingborne
Birth Year: abt 1879
Marriage Date: 23 Dec 1909
Marriage Age: 30
Marriage Place: Ashted, St James the Less, Warwickshire, England
Spouse: Jesse Warren
Spouse Gender: Male
Spouse Marriage Age: 29
Father: William Collingborne
Spouse's Father: John Henry Warren
Reference Number: DRO 10
Archive Roll: 643
[Image says her father is a decorator. One of the witnesses is Frances Jane Day, possibly step sister]

Still nothing leaping out...

Geoff

Thank you both for your help. Much of the information is new to me, but I notice there is a miss spelling of the surname & that could be why I have missed some of it. It looks as though I have a busy weekend following this up.

Once again, thank you for your assistance in this, which I am working through. As you have put so much work in, you may be interested to know what information my father gave me when he was alive. The following is an extract from some notes he gave me:-

"Joseph Collingbourne (artist) married Miss Ginette a member of a French Circus family, renowned on the continent. They had three children, Harold, Beatrice and James Henry Napoleon.

J.H.N's mother died when he was just a small child and his father remarried.

He and his sister Beatrice did not get on with their stepmother and ran away from home when they were still children. Beatrice eventually married a Canadian. JHW followed a travelling Circus and became adept at many skills needed to become a performer. Eventually he became a contortionist and performed a daring act in the Circus and on the music hall stage. The act included him atop a 6ft platform with legs folded, a sharp knife was held in the crook of each knee and a double somersault to the stage was executed.
Whist performing the act at Merthyr, one of the knives pierced his jaw and left a 2" scar which he carried for the rest of his life."

I assume he left the Circus after this and went to find work as a Coal Hewer in the Rhondda. He was conscripted into the West Yorkshire Regiment in 1914 and served as a groom.

When I was a child, my father had a photograph of JHN dressed in a devils costume posing with his legs wrapped around his neck, which I believe was a photograph used for publicity. I assume the story is reasonably accurate as JHN died when my father was 29 and they were very close.

This is the image...
Thanks for that. I think I have most of his other War Documents, including Call Up & Demob. I found it quite chilling to read the Call Up paper and imagined how I would feel if I received it, although, thankfully he did come home. I also have letters written by my grandfather to my father when he was in the second war. My father was in the 8th Army & therefore spent most of the war in Italy and north Africa.

horse

Loyal Member
Thanks for that. I think I have most of his other War Documents, including Call Up & Demob. I found it quite chilling to read the Call Up paper and imagined how I would feel if I received it, although, thankfully he did come home. I also have letters written by my grandfather to my father when he was in the second war. My father was in the 8th Army & therefore spent most of the war in Italy and north Africa.
Yeah, not difficult to imagine the dread, given the horror stories :eek:

Geoff

gibbo

Loyal Member
"Joseph Collingbourne (artist) married Miss Ginette a member of a French Circus family, renowned on the continent.
I found a newspaper article dated 1886 concerning the Ginette Circus. Nothing to do with your Collingbourne family but its a interesting read all the same. If you are interested in a copy just PM me your email and i'll forward it on.

horse

Loyal Member
I found a newspaper article dated 1886 concerning the Ginette Circus. Nothing to do with your Collingbourne family but its a interesting read all the same. If you are interested in a copy just PM me your email and i'll forward it on.
Thanks, gibbo... always good to get some background on these events, gives a bit of atmosphere and understanding to the period.

Geoff

I found the article really useful. I had been wondering how he had joined a Circus as a young lad because today that couldn't possibly happen, but it seems there was nothing unusual about this in the late 19th century.
This is the sort of thing I was hoping to find when I started researching my family history. :)

gibbo

Loyal Member
I had been wondering how he had joined a Circus as a young lad because today that couldn't possibly happen, but it seems there was nothing unusual about this in the late 19th century.
My line of thinking would be that since his mother was a Ginette that when he didnt get on with his step mother he went to his late mother's family, hence maybe that he when he joined the circus.

I did find a few more articles in the newspapers and the name was also spelt Ginnett.

Found this also.
http://www.circusginnett.com/#/history/4530823773

I have come across further information at the weekend which suggests it was Circus Ginnet that he joined, so it is entirely possible that he made contact through his deceased mothers family.