• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Clara Bucktrout nee Lakin 1875 Yorkshire

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
I could do with help solving the mystery of GG aunt Clara Bucktrout. Born Clara Lakin,1875 she married Henry Bucktrout in 1893 and in the 1901 census is living with her own family, the Lakins at Summer Lane, Wombwell, Yorkshire with a daughter Daisy born 1900, married but no husband there. I can't find her or Daisy in 1911. Can't find Henry in 1901 tho there is a possible Henry Buck born 1873 at nearby Smithleys who says he is single. In 1911 a Henry Bucktrout is living with a wife Margaret in Wombwell he is born 1873 - married 7 years with 3 children. I hve found a Henry with his parents James and John, same age in 1881 and 1891.

Can't find a death for Clara. I suspect the Henry with Mgt is the same Henry as they are living Bond Street which is where Clara's mother, Mary Ann Lakin died in 1905. It is possible Clara died between 1901 and 1905 but can't see the death and why did Henry say he was single in 1901 if I have the right one.
This one is confusing me and I could do with another head looking at it.

:confused:

HODGSON, William 32 1879 Coal Miner Hewer Yorks Darfield
HODGSON, Clara Wife (Married 12 years 2 child 1 alive) 35 1876 Yorks Darfield
HODGSON, Daisy Daughter 11 1900 School Yorks Wombwell

RG number: RG14

Piece: 28019

Reference: RG14PN28019 RG78PN1600 RD510 SD7 ED31 SN305

Registration District: Sheffield

Sub District: Attercliffe

Enumeration District: 31

Parish: Sheffield

Address: 5 Arkle Road Attercliffe Sheffield

County: Yorkshire (West riding)

Just to add to the confusion

Name: William Hodgson
Spouse: Clara Bucktrout

Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1933

Registration district: Sheffield
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding

Volume Number: 9c
Page Number: 1354

horse

Loyal Member
Hi Barbara

Bucktrout birth reg. Yorkshire.
Q4 1873 BUCKTROUT Harry Selby 9c 729
Q4 1876 BUCKTROUT Henry Eddison Hunslet 9b 315

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks both for that. At least now I have found where Clara is but was there one Henry or two? The one with his parents said he was born Carlton, the one with a wife in 1911 says he was born Selby. Don't think the two places are close so were there two Henry Bucktrouts or one who died so Clara could remary this Wm Hodgson.

Still confused but a little clearer. Hunslet is near Leeds and not near Wombwell and Selby is North Yorkshire so not near Wombwell either The one I have found in Wombwell in 1881 and 1891 says he was born in 1874 in Carlton which is West Riding.

Am I looking for a death for Henry and just being sidetracked because they live on the same street as Clara's mother when she died?

Barbara

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Or with the marriage that Dave found in 1933 did she not marry him until her husband had died and she was free to do so? Mmm still things to look up then. Is there another Carlton near Selby, I am thinking of the one in the Barnsley area near Royston.

Still:confused:

Barbara

there is a Carton 6 miles South of Leeds city centre, near Rothwell/Wakefield. Nearer to Hunslet than Wombwell

I thought they may not have married because they were both still married.

dave

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ok so now I know that there is a Carlton near Selby as well as the one near Barnsley it is a bit clearer. So it is looking like Henry and Clara left each other and lived with other partners. Clara didn't marry til Henry died, can't be sure about Henry but once I find Henry's death probably around 1933 I will be surer. I will look for a marriage for Henry to a Margaret but if he did he was a bigamist.

Knew I would get help on here, thank you very much.

Barbara

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
FMP have a Harold Bucktrout in the Yorkshire Light Infantry in 1916 so perhaps not Henry at all. Haven't a subscription either so will have to leave that one. But you have given me the idea that he may have gone to war, can only find a death in the UK for a Henry Bucktrout in 1945 in Bradford but he was born 1873 which is a bit worrying for my great auntie Clara marrying someone when she was still married to Henry!

Commonwealth graves next try perhaps.

Barbara

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Don't blame you! Harry can be Henry and Harold. Think I am a bit worried that my aunt gave up on waiting for him to die and married anyway. Can't think of anything else to do to prove or disprove this. Can't find a marriage for a Henry/Harry and Margaret so probably they didn't marry. Wonder if I can find any descendants from that union on genesreunited! That would help - tee hee.

Barbara

horse

Loyal Member
This could be Clara, mistranscribed in 1901, with parents and dau. Lucy..

1901 England Census
Name: Clara Buckwont
[Clara Lakin]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: John Lakin
Mother's name: Mary A Lakin
Where born: Darfield, Yorkshire, England
Civil parish: Wombwell
Ecclesiastical parish: Wombwell St Mary
County/Island: Yorkshire
Registration district: Barnsley
Sub-registration district: Darfield
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 232
Piece: 4320
Folio: 70
Page Number: 43
Name Age
John Lakin 56
Mary A Lakin 56
John W Lakin 15
Amy Lakin 10
Clara Buckwont 28
Lucy Buckwont 1
[original says she is married]

horse

Loyal Member
This is also interesting if Harry/Henry d. 1916..

Marriage, Q2 1916
Brown Leonard [Bucktrout] Barnsley 9c 323
Bucktrout Clara [Brown] Barnsley 9c 323