• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Coachman.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

My ancestor George Coombs born c1790 was a coachman in London. He tended to live near to major London coach and horse repositories. His addresses were:-

In 1813 he was at 114 Grays Inn Lane Holborn,
1819 at 2 Orange Court Soho,
1821 at Carnaby Street Soho and
1830 at 7 Husband Street, Soho.

There was a coach and horses repository inbetween Carnaby and King Street Soho so I wonder whether he was a domestic or public coachman?

In 1817 he lived at St Marylebone and was described as "Servant" in his daughters baptism.

Out of curiosity for any of you who have coachmen ancestors, were most of them domestic coachmen or were they stage coachmen, ie, carrying passengers?

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I believe that George may have died before 1837 as his wife was a singleowman in the 1841 census with son William born in 1828.

I wonder if he may have alternated between a stage and a domestic coachman?

Ben

Edward

Valued Member
Hi,

My G (x3) Grandfather Thomas Trodd was a Coachman.

He started as the Gardener in the 1851 Census

In 1861 and 1871 he is shown as a coachman
In 1881 he is shown as "Formerly A Coachman Domestic Servant"

I think that he will have been Coachman to the same family as he had previously been the Gardener.

He lived in Weston Hampshire.

Ed

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

The street where my ancestor lived in 1830 in Soho had a lot of "Servants out of place" in the 1851 census living there. The street was right in the heart of Soho, amongst the theatres, streets and pubs and nightclubs. I wonder if he had coachmen accomodation there?

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Although not a coachman, my GG granpa was a drayman. And apparently one of his deliveries was so far that he had to stay out overnight.
I have researched most of the Inns that the brewery delivered to, and found that it, and quite a few of the other are still trading today.
The 'overnighter' was not that far, approx 12-14 miles, but the terrain was quite hilly and progress must have been extremely slow. I would imagine that he had to 'rest' the horses quite a few times on the journey, and being a regular on the route he obviously got to know quite a few 'friends' on the way, over a period of time.:rolleyes:
So now, as have been suggeted to me by my older siblings, they he may have had female liasons whilst doing this route.
I have been looking on the various census which cover the apparent route, to see if there are possible 'births' that may be attributed to my ancestor.
A bit of a long shot, but who knows.
Could be interesting.

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

My 3xgreat grandparents lived 12 miles apart before they married. He had got her pregnant while he was still married to a dying wife. His wife had TB. The village that she lived in had good road and rail access to his town on Brighton. They must have met through service or he visited the village as he was a manservant. They moved away and married once their baby was born.

Your story is similar to mine about ancestors who worked as servants, coachmen, draymen or carmen.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

My 3xgreat grandparents lived 12 miles apart before they married. He had got her pregnant while he was still married to a dying wife. His wife had TB. The village that she lived in had good road and rail access to his town on Brighton. They must have met through service or he visited the village as he was a manservant. They moved away and married once their baby was born.

Your story is similar to mine about ancestors who worked as servants, coachmen, draymen or carmen.

Ben
I suppose i am being too ambitious, and a waste of time. Would never be able to prove the theory.
But...............!!!

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Still interesting. My ancestors two residences had good road and rail access to each other. Also the womans village was littered with country manors surrounding it so I think that is how they met. The death cert of his previous wife was the clincher as it listed how long she had been ill making the idea of him having an affair totally feasable.

Ben

Littlemo

Hi Everyone,
My GGrandad is listed in 1881 as a Coach Body Builder In 1871 his Father is a Carter to a Tallow Chandler, (Am I right in thinking a Tallow Chandler made Candles?) 1 Son is a Tallow Chandler Manager so presumably he got his Dad the job as in 1861 he"s listed as an Agricultural Worker.Seems that Nepotism was alive & well even then. In 1881 my GGGran is listed as Smallware Shop anyone know what this was?
Also how does anyone go back so far as 1790"s before the Census Records?
I must say I find this Site more & more fascinating as time goes on,I don"t know what I did with my time before I found it, it"s Asolutely Fab!!!!!!!!
Happy Hunting Everyone
Littlemo

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Everyone,
My GGrandad is listed in 1881 as a Coach Body Builder In 1871 his Father is a Carter to a Tallow Chandler, (Am I right in thinking a Tallow Chandler made Candles?) 1 Son is a Tallow Chandler Manager so presumably he got his Dad the job as in 1861 he"s listed as an Agricultural Worker.Seems that Nepotism was alive & well even then. In 1881 my GGGran is listed as Smallware Shop anyone know what this was?
Also how does anyone go back so far as 1790"s before the Census Records?
I must say I find this Site more & more fascinating as time goes on,I don"t know what I did with my time before I found it, it"s Asolutely Fab!!!!!!!!
Happy Hunting Everyone
Littlemo

Hi Littlemo,
I think you will find that a small-ware shop is where you would go to buy your tin opener, new washing line, a screwdriver, cook pots and general household wares. An ancestor to the the huge mega-stores we have today.
Yes, chandler's are generaly candlemakers.
Going back before census records, involves a lot of trawling through parish records, churchyards, wills, ships records and just about everything with a name on, and a little bit of luck. Hard graft. And if you are really lucky, some other family link has already done it.
You still need to confirm whatever you are given though. But it is a bit easier now with great sites like this, and internet. :kissu: :)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

If you have coachman or servant ancestors then it may be a good idea to trace any addresses they lived at in case you cannot find any reference to their exact employers. Ratebooks, valuation lists and land tax records can be a godsend. Was the property in a mews, was it accomodation for coachmen and servants or was it just normal working class accomodation?

Check any wealthy people nearby or any coach and horse repositories.

Ben

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
somerstown Occupations & Work 14