• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Collier and Heaver

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi Iain,

Coal heaver: a man employed in carrying coal
Collier: a coal miner or coal merchant

I am not sure (so don't quote me!) a coal heaver or hever was a person
that carried coal and a collier is a person who dug the coal out.

Well it sounds good eh!
Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,
It sounds pretty good too me. I couldn't quite make out the writing in the census ( 1 too many whiskies the night before ). But heaver sounds like they where heaving bags or sacks of coal.

Cheers Iain

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
You will have to lay off the whisky Iain ha ha. Mind you I should talk, he says gulping down the red wine.......

When I started researching my families, I had heaver and hewer on my first few census's, lookily I live in Nottinghamshire where coalmining WAS prevalent, so I could find out reasonably easily. Seems that most of my family were "down pit". What a life it was then.

I have a number of mates who had previously worked down the pit (1980 - 90) and never failed to go to work - to have a good sleep! But as we all know, Maggie came along and wiped it all out - that's another story!

Cheers matey,
Dave