• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Common naming pattern in families

duckweed

Loyal Member
Please remind me what the pattern is for children in victorian and earlier. I think first child is after grandfather on fathers side and second grandfather on mothers side or am I wrong ? Is it first child fathers name 2nd child after mothers side. I know there is a pattern but I'm having a senior moment and my brain has turned to mush today.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
How dare you say I had a senior's moment :2fun:

Antoinette, Harriet, Henrietta - Netta
Jeanette - Belle, Bella

The table does not display correctly in Win 7 Ultimate with Firefox 3.6.3. It does display correctly in IE8.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I really find that annoying when simple web pages only display correctly in one browser. I find IE8 way too slow and still not as secure as FF although it's way safer than IE6 & IE7.

marjon

Hi all, sorry I've been off the air doing a family tree for a cousin - I googled "English Naming Patterns" just recently and found heaps of information, so try that. It also applies to Scottish and Irish naming patterns.
The Victorians were not very creative with names with me finding I had 5 Jonathan (*John!) Brown's all in East Yorkshire !! Thanks
Marjon;)

gibbo

Loyal Member
I really find that annoying when simple web pages only display correctly in one browser. I find IE8 way too slow and still not as secure as FF although it's way safer than IE6 & IE7.
Daveham you had me confused:rolleyes: But i have had a crash course this arvo and now i know, well i think i got it right anyway.
IE means internet explorer :2fun: :2fun: I was here all day wondering what IE 6,7 and 8 meant:eek: another wally moment :2fun: :2fun:

duckweed

Loyal Member
When in doubt I ask daughter about any problems on computer. If she can't solve problem I contact niece, and if she can't answer ask brother in law. If none of them know the answer then I probably need new computer or new brain.