• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Compton/Poynter Marriage

Lynda

Any ideas please on the following - I have had absolutely no luck in tracing a marriage between Richard Garibaldi Compton & Ada Florence Poynter. According to the 1911 census they had been married 10 years, but nowhere can I find a record of the event. I am beginning to wonder if the marriage ever took place!

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Lynda,

I couldnt find a marriage either. Is he the Richard born 1861 in Hampshire? also what is Richards occupation in 1911?

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Lynda,

Following on from the 1861 census in 1871 he is under Garibaldi Compton,
born abt 1861 Andover Hampshire. The only Richard Compton I could find in 1881 was born abt 1858 Andover and he is a corporal at 'The Barracks Northgate Canterbury'. Couldnt see him in 1891 nor 1901, so it could be that he is still in the military and maybe the marriage is recorded in the overseas marriages which will be on the findmypast site.

davelambert271

Loyal Member
Hi Lynda,

I couldnt find a marriage either. Is he the Richard born 1861 in Hampshire? also what is Richards occupation in 1911?
Hi Julie I think he is the one as in 1871 he is recorded as Garibaldi, still with parents Henry and Jane
So far have not found him anywhere else, inc 1911. I was also trying to find him 1901 to see if he was still single then

dave

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Christening record.

Richard Garibaldi Compton
Birth 17 Jan 1861
Christening 16 Aug 1863
Christening place Andover Hants
Age at christening 2

Father Henry Compton
Mother Jane

Lynda

Thanks for all the help - you have got the right Richard Compton on the census and he was in the army, by 1911 he was a Gardener/Nurseryman. Certainly Ada was living in Kingston according to the 1901 census. Will have to try overseas marriages I think or even military ones, perhaps I will be proved wrong but feel as though I am not getting something right here.
Lynda