• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Compton/Poynter Marriage

Feeling quite frustrated as I cannot find the marriage of Richard Garibaldi Compton to Ada Florence Poynter. The 1901 census shows Ada as single. By the 1911 census she and Richard had evidently been married 10 years. Blowed if I can track the information down. Any helpwould be appreciated.
Cheers

susanwillis59

Valued Member
could be they had a civil marriage or as in my husbands tree, after months of searching they never married, it was very common for couples not to marry apparently due to the cost .sometimes they just said they were married. sue

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Lynda,

I couldn find a marriage either, as Susan said they may have not married.
Have you been looking on the freebmd site or Ancestry as they use freebmd, the marriage may not have been transcribed yet for the index. I had a death for 1845 recently, found the burial but no death in the index, it hadnt been transcribed, it may be worth looking through the marriage indexes quarter by quarter.

susanwillis59

Valued Member
i already looked julie and came up with nothing , bit strange as they both have names that are not common, think im losing my touch everything ive looked for today have come up with a blank haha.suex

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Lynda

I have searched the BMD index by quarters for the years 1901 - 1915 and cannot find a single one. I did find 3 Ada's but not married to Richard.

I think you may have to accept that maybe the marriage did not exist. I have one of those with my grandparents !! I did find out that she took a secret to the grave with her, as my aunt in law was there at the time she was dying !!

Maddie

Thanks for the help folks. I think you have confirmed what was coming into my mind - they didn't actually amrry. Have tried FreeBMD & Ancestry to no avail.