• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Computer Monitor.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I wish you well in your search for a new Box ,but Windows Vista - I think that is the worst edition they unleashed on us!
Windows 10 is not too bad, it runs most programs but all the extras like edge or Cortana just cannot be removed!
It all seems strange as Microsoft were once fined for including Internet Explorer with a version of windows(cant remember what version - there's been so many!)

Changing the power supply may not be that easy - due to motherboard connector changes - each new PC that I get has a different type of plug so my spare power supply wont work!

Peter

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
The PC that 'broke', is over 6 years old, and by the time I've paid someone to fix it, plus parts, I'm not sure it will be viable..........that's the story with most 'disposable' things.

All documents, photo's etc are backed up on a separate hard drive, and CD. Plus emailed myself quite a lot of stuff.
It is just the annoyance factor of having to load some of it back on the new model, plus other software program's I have, and working out how to use Win10.

Oh well, at least it will keep me quiet when that time arrives.:rolleyes::biggrin:

Steve.:)

thecelticbard

Valued Member
Steve, the joys of being computer ILLITERATE, means I'm dependent on a local company so most of what's been said although written in English didn't mean a thing to me.:rolleyes:
Just to refresh your memory, now you know why I chose to be Dozy in the 7 Dwarfs!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Oh the joy of computer upgrades.:)
First all upgrades :- Manufacturers are tasked with the object of making sure that none of the previous computers components will work in the new version.:2fun:

Microsoft will endeavor to ensure that all your old programs will cease to work on the new computer!:biggrin::2fun:

If 'IF' you are lucky you may be able to salvage all your carefully researched data will be transferable to the new PC.

All the data stored on CD's are probably lost as they cannot be read oin the new drive.

After all the dust has settled, I hope you will keep in touch with us Steve!:rolleyes:

Peter

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Back online now, but still using the semi retired computer with Vista.:eek::2fun:

My internet 'usage cycle' has now been replenished, after running out of access last week.:rolleyes:

Files are all safe and sound, and will not bother to reload them to new puta, even if a suitable product can be found.

What makes me chuckle, is that MS, as I understand it, no longer send updates for Vista, XP etc.......so why were there 117 updates waiting to be installed.:confused::2fun:

Oh well, I'll see what the future brings for a new PC.......when funds allow.;):biggrin:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I guess I should have updated this, with the solution.:rolleyes:

Fitted a new NVIDIA - GE Force 210 Grphics card, with dust proof fan. And obviously it works, and it's fixed. Took about 2 minutes to swap it out, and 10 minutes to update the puta.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I guess I should have updated this, with the solution.:rolleyes:

Fitted a new NVIDIA - GE Force 210 Graphics card, with dust proof fan. And obviously it works, and it's fixed. Took about 2 minutes to swap it out, and 10 minutes to update the puta.

Never had Steve down for a connection to Robert the Bruce - he of "If at first you don't succeed...................etc.," :biggrin::biggrin:
And I was told 40+ years ago that computers was going to make my life so much easier, I'd have time on my hands at work and it would cut paperwork? :rolleyes::rolleyes: There again he was a salesman!